Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride year around and was wanting to know from people that ride in 110+ temps do you find the factory oil cooler/engine cooling sufficient? I know they make fan kits I have one on my Ultra to keep it cool. The old Vics had huge oil coolers, are they a good idea or is the set up on my 2004 Vegas good. The coming summer will be my first on a Vic.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I rode thru Death Valley and plenty of desert this last summer on my CR. I never had a problem with the bike...I was hot as hell but the bike seemed fine cheers

·
13,027 Posts
I ride year around and was wanting to know from people that ride in 110+ temps do you find the factory oil cooler/engine cooling sufficient? I know they make fan kits I have one on my Ultra to keep it cool. The old Vics had huge oil coolers, are they a good idea or is the set up on my 2004 Vegas good. The coming summer will be my first on a Vic.
So are you asking about 5 o'clock rush hour traffic or a general day of hot weather.
Call me silly but when it gets in the hundreds I plan my day out and its not riding in town. The oil cooler I think would work pretty as long as your moving. I had hd's with oil coolers and would watch the oil pressure gauge and you could see not much pressure sitting at lights or just creeping a long but as soon as you got a good temp mile a hour roll the pressure would jump up to 40 psi.
I do think the vegas has more then enough surface to keep you oil cool. I did read where Vic later went to a smaller cooler cause the big ones were doing to good of a job and they were having motor failure.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. I was just wanting to get ready now but it sounds like I don't have to. Good old Victory making a solid set up.

Here is AZ a general day of hot weather is 3-4 months of 100+ with 115+ at times.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Heat

Hey, neighbor: I have a temp gauge dipstick on my XC. This time of year I am running at 200. Mid summer in rush hour traffic I have topped out at 250 a few times. Since switching to Amzoil, temp's dropped 5-10 degrees.
Once it hits 110, fo-gid-a-boud-it:mad: way too hot to ride in rush hour traffic. Not for the bike, for me!

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have ridden year around here for a long time. I LOVE motorcycles and can't stand sitting in a car.

250 ain't noth'in. :D

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I was stuck in traffic last summer on an unusually hot day (over 100 degrees), for a 25 mile stretch of freeway, completely jammed. Split the carpool lane, which kept me moving at about 5 mph. Took me almost an hour to get home. Needless to say I was baked and exhausted as if I had carried the bike on my back. The bike was fine, not one sign of overheating. You won't need a fan on these bikes no matter how slow you're moving, as long as you're outdoors and the hot air can circulate away from the motor (Folks, don't leave your bike idling in a closed garage - ever).

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm convinced. Thanks!!! Victory did their job designing these bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was watching the Victory vs HD YouTube vids, and they said that the oil cooler, hence the amount of oil in the bike was "down sized" because the bike did NOT get warm enough.

Also, I saw the post about Amsoil lowering the temp. Is anyone using Royal Purple?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
113 here the last couple days and the bike never went over 230. Perfect.
Yesterday I was stuck in traffic because of an accident.
No problem at all. My bike takes 6 qts and stays nice and cool.
I ride 50 miles a day round trip in stop and go to 70MPH.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No feels like it, it's 113. My Rotella oil loves it.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Here in the Northeast we have the high humidity, with the high air temps. Rode the XC all week in the mid 90's and 60+ humidity. No issues noticed with the Vic Freedom motor, but I was really feeling it with my Vic mesh jacket, jeans, boots, gloves and half helmet. Better when I was on the Hwy vs. around town.

I switched to the Amsoil in April and I noticed an immediate difference in shifting, less trans noise and I'm sure the oil temp is lower now. thumb up

·
Registered
755 Posts
113 here the last couple days and the bike never went over 230. Perfect.
Yesterday I was stuck in traffic because of an accident.
No problem at all. My bike takes 6 qts and stays nice and cool.
I ride 50 miles a day round trip in stop and go to 70MPH.
You guys can't lane split? I'd kill myself if can't lane split and have to commute every day. :puke:

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys can't lane split? I'd kill myself if can't lane split and have to commute every day. :puke:
No lane splitting here but when it's hot the car drivers are good about letting you change lanes to get off the freeway.

110+ on a bike isn't that bad really.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
We can use some of that AZ heat here in the Northwet. It has turned cold, wet and windy--so much for gullible warming, eh? 75mph gusts at the coast and snow on the mountains. On the first day of fall the door was slammed shut on summer and the NW Rain Festival commenced in earnest. We even made the national news today.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We can use some of that AZ heat here in the Northwet. It has turned cold, wet and windy--so much for gullible warming, eh? 75mph gusts at the coast and snow on the mountains. On the first day of fall the door was slammed shut on summer and the NW Rain Festival commenced in earnest. We even made the national news today.
We finally have nice weather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts