Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admin...please change the registration requirements to ADMIN APPROVAL ONLY.

The forums are getting very annoying seeing these spammers break through with the weak registration process that it takes to become a member here.

Rather than annoy CURRENT members, why not set all registrations to ADMIN APPROVAL and maybe once or twice a day REVIEW those registrations and approve only the ones that look like legitimate registrants and not BOTS.

I run a forum with almost 40,000 members and this is how I do it... In 5 years there has not been a single SPAMMER on my forums.

Just a suggestion to make this a more enjoyable place to visit (which I do multiple times a day).

·
Registered
545 Posts

The forums are getting very annoying seeing these spammers break through with the weak registration process that it takes to become a member here.

Rather than annoy CURRENT members, why not set all registrations to ADMIN APPROVAL and maybe once or twice a day REVIEW those registrations and approve only the ones that look like legitimate registrants and not BOTS.

I run a forum with almost 40,000 members and this is how I do it... In 5 years there has not been a single SPAMMER on my forums.

Just a suggestion to make this a more enjoyable place to visit (which I do multiple times a day).
Here here. I 3rd this motion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I MUST CONCUR !:I agree::clap:

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

Easier said than done. The bots do not look like bots. They look like users, with friendly names, like "happyJerry" - they don't label themselves as spam bots. You don't know they're spam bots until they finally post their stuff.

Approving each signup might work for smaller forums, but on a forum this size you'll end causing a good size traffic jam.

By the way, are you volunteering to check all signups? Won't take you more than an hour a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. cheers

What I have suggested was a "no link posting" rule until your account reaches 10-20 posts, and 1 week passes from the time you register, or automatically suspend posts with links until they are manually approved, for users with very low post count. A spam bot wont' waste the time to get their post count up to finally post a link, and if they do, they're easy to spot and ban.

I have also pushed for banning all China and India IPs, where most spam originates from, and disallowing anonymous proxies to be used to access the forum.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts

What am I going to do in the morning if I don't have spammers to report??

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
What am I going to do in the morning if I don't have spammers to report??
Now there's a positive attitude! cheers Same goes here. What would I do if I didn't have reported spammers to ban, and remove their threads/posts?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crossroads...I wasn't implying you're not doing your job. I was just saying there are things you can do to slow it down (and in some cases eliminate it). I can't speak for others, but in the mornings when I log on, I can pick out the spammers by their subject line...relying JUST on the username can be tricky (as you stated).

However, there are some "tools" you can use to block many of these spammers....tools like a question/answer system, stopforumspam, or ZB Block.

On my forum, on which I have 38,000 members I DO APPROVE each and every member based on their answer/question that is asked...and if I still feel it could be a potential SPAMMER, I place them in a "HOLD" group that allows them to SEE the forums, but they cannot POST at all, nor can they upload pictures or even an Avatar....My thinking is that if they are a "REAL PERSON" and they are interested in participating in the forum, they will message me or email me to inquire on how to post.

That system works VERY well.

I think you do a great job of keeping the forum organized, this is the only issue I have with this forum...and I promise, I know being an administrator of a forum can be trying at times...someone ALWAYS thinks they can do a better job. I'm not saying I can do a better job, I'm just hoping that maybe something I have said or suggested could be an additional step in slowing down the spammers or eliminating them.

If you're doing all you can do...we can't ask for more than that.

Thanks.

Wally

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Crossroads...I wasn't implying you're not doing your job. I was just saying there are things you can do to slow it down (and in some cases eliminate it). I can't speak for others, but in the mornings when I log on, I can pick out the spammers by their subject line...relying JUST on the username can be tricky (as you stated).

However, there are some "tools" you can use to block many of these spammers....tools like a question/answer system, stopforumspam, or ZB Block.

On my forum, on which I have 38,000 members I DO APPROVE each and every member based on their answer/question that is asked...and if I still feel it could be a potential SPAMMER, I place them in a "HOLD" group that allows them to SEE the forums, but they cannot POST at all, nor can they upload pictures or even an Avatar....My thinking is that if they are a "REAL PERSON" and they are interested in participating in the forum, they will message me or email me to inquire on how to post.

That system works VERY well.

I think you do a great job of keeping the forum organized, this is the only issue I have with this forum...and I promise, I know being an administrator of a forum can be trying at times...someone ALWAYS thinks they can do a better job. I'm not saying I can do a better job, I'm just hoping that maybe something I have said or suggested could be an additional step in slowing down the spammers or eliminating them.

If you're doing all you can do...we can't ask for more than that.

Thanks.

Wally
Any well intended suggestions are always appreciated and considered.

Our 2 post in the new members forum rule did wonders in tripping spam bots, but it also causes great frustration for new members. Almost daily someone asks "why can't I post?" So, every anti-spam measure comes with a drawback.

The simple question/answer on signup is a good idea. I run that on another forum, and it cycles through a list of questions, so each user sees a different one. The answers are simple enough that a 3 year old can answer, but the bots cannot.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am sure there are a lot of members here like me that belong to all sorts of different forums. There are spam bots everywhere. How about doing your part? If you see a spam thread click the little icon that looks like a Yield sign with an l in it under the username in the post.
You can also highlight the thread before clicking on it to preview the thread info. If doing that is too much of a waste of time for you then making this thread must've been extremely difficult, considering all of the time you wasted.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the admin can verify that on a daily basis I report to them the "bots" that have posted. I don't think I have wasted anyone's time... except maybe yours.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I think the admin can verify that on a daily basis I report to them the "bots" that have posted. I don't think I have wasted anyone's time... except maybe yours.
Yea me too I report daily anymore.

That guy need to take a deep breath and calm down. Maybe he's bound up and needs Metamucil sure seems like it.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Yea me too I report daily anymore.

That guy need to take a deep breath and calm down. Maybe he's bound up and needs Metamucil sure seems like it.
Yes, the two of you (arkiebiker and vindex1963) along with VisionJohny are probablly the top three spam reporters. Kudos to you, and your daily clickings are highly appreciated. Please keep up the great work. thumb up

·
Registered
403 Posts
I also report spammers a good bit. It's just part of it, they're everywhere. A thread such as this is useless IMO. What good does it do? If perhaps your intentions for the thread was to inform others about how to report it, awesome... But just to complain about the spam and asking someone else to fix it is useless.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Most threads are useless that's the fun and on a forum so is the freedom to post useless threads so in turn you saying it's useless is actually useless to say. There is one and only one person her that can fix spam so we're not asking anyone to fix it because that one person knows who they are so it would be redundant to ask.

Beautiful day today I think I'll go for a ride.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I am by no means an expert, and am just curious, but I notice that on some other sites I am required to key in a code below my comment/post that is displayed above at the same time, like "Ht5&gD" kind of thing. Ive never seen spam posts on those sites. Is that an option?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts