Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done this before on other vehicles of mine, i saw a post here somewhere about it also. In that post/link it said when doing it to reduce the gap by .010. So I tried it on my bike, but started with just over .030(my gauge doesn't have .032 on it). No noticeable difference, so I dropped to .020 like suggested, it seems to have made starting rpms slightly lower, like I almost need to rev it slightly for warmup. After its warmer it seems to idle slightly higher though. Anyone else do the side gapping, what gap did you end up with?

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Not a good thing to do. If anything, you'd want to err on the gap being a bit larger than spec. Reason being, the spark corona ignites the fuel mixture that's within that gap. Hence, a smaller gap = a weak and delayed flame front. Remember, gas/air doesn't explode, it burns. When it explodes, you get "pinging."

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
You have to do a bunch of engine work before there is any measurable difference in side gapping. It's not like we are running low compression flat heads or full bore race motors. You can get yourself into trouble with side gapping though with the amount of advance Vic runs

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wouldn't a wide gap with a high energy spark give you more of a defined ingintion source? I thought that was the whole idea with the high energy spark systems and the wide (.060 =/-) gaps on the modern autos.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I cannot and will not dispute anyone on their beliefs concerning the need for or the repercussions from side gapping your plugs. I will mention that I have been completely "tuning" my bike's plugs for 50 years and that I believe that the benefits are there.

First tuning the location of the spark in the cylinder... I always make sure that the opening in the gap faces the point of fuel entry so that the mist injected into the cylinder isn't "broken down" or interfered with.

Second, I have always side gapped my bikes plugs at or just slightly larger than the recommended gap.

My results are quite acceptable to me... I get a clean all at once burn and feel that I get a brisker acceleration.

My mpg's have always met or beaten what the mfg's suggest is normal... and I have used regular gas a number of times when necessary without any pinging... I use mid-level almost all the time and have no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts