Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me begin with a Harley horror story. A friend of mine has an '06 Harley. The bike was running fine but it started making a clicking noise, so he took it to the vee twin mechanic in town we all use; Magnusen Motorcycle Maintenance in Cloverdale Ca. He's a great mechanic and a straight shooter when it comes to costs, repair options and advice.
It turned out the Harley had a loose fuel line in the tank. He was only getting 20 pounds of pressure in the fuel line, and the bike was running way too lean. The engine is trashed. Cylinder walls scored, heads shot and metal got down into the crankcase and destroyed the crankshaft.
I immediately pulled my plugs on my '04 V92TC to see their condition. They were replaced 2000 miles ago and they're a nice tan-brown like they should be. My manual says to inspect the plugs every 5000 miles, but I'm wondering if I should do it maybe every 1000. I don't know how simular the fuel systems on a H.D. and a Victory are, but with most makes putting all the fuel components in the tank these days, it seems the potential is there for the same kind of problem happening. I don't know if his harley has a "check engine" feature like my TC. Maybe that would alert me to a problem, but the color of the plugs is about the best way for your engine to tell you how it's running.
Have any of you heard of this kind of thing happening to a Vic?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
If the bike has so little fuel pressure that it was running that lean, it had to be running like sh!t. You would notice the problem before it tore the engine up...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
My manual says to inspect the plugs every 5000 miles, but I'm wondering if I should do it maybe every 1000. ......Have any of you heard of this kind of thing happening to a Vic?
04 TC also and have put about 20K on it in little over a year.
Answer No and No.
I have a Stage 1 flash, Ness Big sucker filter and level 1 exhaust. I run the **** out of it on 87 octane (not to start the octane thread again, just posting for info) and replace my plugs at about 10K because I am pulling them anyway just to see how she is running. Did this shortly after buying it then again after installing the Ness filter just to make sure how I was burning. You can pick the NGK's up at Advance Auto for 2.60ea but check your local auto store. No need to go to dealer and pay 300% more and that way when you do pull them, you can just replace them.

If you want to worry about anything, check your battery terminals to ensure their tight and replace your wires... Greater chance of that giving you a headache then your HD bud. Havent ordered mine yet but at 9yrs old... think about it. Fuel pressure drops, you will know it and if it does happen, VICBuilder is the man for the replacement.

Safe ridin, Tim cheers

·
Registered
784 Posts
If the bike has so little fuel pressure that it was running that lean, it had to be running like sh!t. You would notice the problem before it tore the engine up...
I will second this, However I've never been able to tell when a crosswired HD is running good or bad at idle. The damage didn't happen in a short time and there should have been something tell your fried there was a problem.
A freak situation for sure.

Cheers

·
13,177 Posts
Spark Plugs should be good for 40 thousand miles.
With EFI its very rare they fail.
Your big concern should be how you pull the plug wires off that where you can create a problem.

I picked this up from Half Crazy. Cut a 2" peace of fuel line the long way and slid over the fin now with some needle noise pliers grip the plug wire and push down. This way you will not pull wire out of the boot. ( don't let tips of pliers dig into boot )
Put some dialectic grease on both ends of the plug wires and some anti seize grease on the threads.

Don't judge our bikes by what happens to a harley two diffrent desingned motors all together.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spark Plugs should be good for 40 thousand miles.
With EFI its very rare they fail.
Your big concern should be how you pull the plug wires off that where you can create a problem.

I picked this up from Half Crazy. Cut a 2" peace of fuel line the long way and slid over the fin now with some needle noise pliers grip the plug wire and push down. This way you will not pull wire out of the boot. ( don't let tips of pliers dig into boot )
Put some dialectic grease on both ends of the plug wires and some anti seize grease on the threads.

Don't judge our bikes by what happens to a harley two diffrent desingned motors all together.
I have to agree - it's hard to imagine any engine eating itself without being noticable. My friend is almost deaf from a lifetime of auto body work. He wears hearing aids, but not when riding, but you'd think he notice a change in performance.

I had the battery cables come loose on my bike and it wasn't happy at all. I've got two star washers on the cables now, and I'm carrying what I need to pull the seat on the road to get to the battery. I have a Russel day long and the sides block getting to the battery.

VisionJohnny- thanks for the tip on pulling the plug wires. Great idea.
thumb up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts