Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
I didn't watch the whole video but someone should mention the most important thing about changing plugs and that's getting the gap right.

What is the correct gap for the 106 engine and is it the same for both the steel frame and composite sand cast frames?

Putting out only half the info helps no one.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I didn't watch the whole video but someone should mention the most important thing about changing plugs and that's getting the gap right.

What is the correct gap for the 106 engine and is it the same for both the steel frame and composite sand cast frames?

Putting out only half the info helps no one.
Gap = .036" / .9mm. Torque = 15 lb/ft or 102 nm. A dab of anti-seize on the threads. A bit of dielectric grease on the porcelain to ease boot removal. A blast of air in the recess prior and during removal, but not after plug is out to avoid anything getting into the cylinders. Stick with the OEM plugs - you don't know better than those who designed and tested the engine. Plugs are cheap, change 'em at about 10K, I do and feel an improvement.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Gap = .036" / .9mm. Torque = 15 lb/ft or 102 nm. A dab of anti-seize on the threads. A bit of dielectric grease on the porcelain to ease boot removal. A blast of air in the recess prior and during removal, but not after plug is out to avoid anything getting into the cylinders. Stick with the OEM plugs - you don't know better than those who designed and tested the engine. Plugs are cheap, change 'em at about 10K, I do and feel an improvement.
Not to nitpick but the manual has a different gap specified. For the XC.

Spark Plug Type (Gap) NGK DCPR6E (.032 in. / .8 mm)

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Not to nitpick but the manual has a different gap specified. For the XC.

Spark Plug Type (Gap) NGK DCPR6E (.032 in. / .8 mm)
I wonder why--it's such a tiny difference. :nerd

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wonder why--it's such a tiny difference. :nerd
The only thing I could think of would be weight difference between XR and XC.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
The only thing I could think of would be weight difference between XR and XC.
That's why I got the XR, I couldn't weight for the XC. :devil

·
Registered
566 Posts
This time of year your doing your spring tune up. RFr those that don't know how to or you they have for got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhuC_C0Eu60&feature=youtu.be
Good stuff. Maybe there should be a sticky in the tech section with all the "maintenance tips and tricks". That would make it easy to find because this thread will inevitably get buried.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Even at .036 in the old plug had a wider gap from being used for the last 22k miles or so. Tomorrow I'll adjust it slightly.

Thanks VJ and Ric for this thread and the info provided. I was due to change the plugs anyway and had them sitting on the work bench.

About the only thing I would add to this good info would be to wait until you check your air filter if there are no issues making it necessary to change the plugs simply because the job is much easier without the tank in the way. In fact; I'll go ahead and wait to adjust the gap because I do need to check the AF and install the forward tank lifts I got a couple of months ago.

Oh; and a shout out to the friend who shared a PC-V map done by KevinX on a bike with VM1 cams, Lloydz AF and timing adjuster at +4, and Tri-oval muffs. I don't have the tri-oval's but it made a nice difference. If anyone would like the two maps that were sent and have or going to have a similar setup; simply PM your email address and I'll send them to you. If nothing else it makes a good starting point and will probably make your dyno guy happy or make your Auto Tune work far less.

Now to get out and ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts