Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a sparkplug socket for my XC. i have a few of correct size but not deep enough. where to get the correct one.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I think that most sparkplug sockets are the same size (5/8" I believe although 13/16" also exists). Are you saying that you have the right "hex size" but not long enough? If that is the case, then you don't have a "sparkplug socket" which are long and often have a rubber grommet inside them to hold the sparkplug inside the socket and to protect the insulator from damage. You can buy these cheap at any hardware store.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have one from last bike but it is wrong size to big.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
O'Reilly's has a spark plug socket with a powerful magnet. Its a dream to use on deeply recessed plugs. Neat tool. Now that you know about it, you'll be crazy not to go get it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill go check it out.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
If its length isn't to your liking, there are short extensions.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
The spark plug socket size that I use on my 2014 Cross Country Tour is 5/8"
If you say you have this size but it is not long enough, there is a rubber grommet inside to hold the spark plug, you have to push the socket onto the plug so it grabs it.
It may appear that it is not long enough at first but push it in while turning to align the socket to the plug.
Put the socket on an extension so it can reach all the way in.
Put the new plug into the socket so it's held in place and thread it all the way in by hand so you don't cross thread it. Then torque it down.
You can click here to watch a short video I did.
Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
O'Reilly's has a spark plug socket with a powerful magnet. Its a dream to use on deeply recessed plugs. Neat tool. Now that you know about it, you'll be crazy not to go get it.
I had a swivel spark plug socket that had both the magnet and a long extension (10"? I forgot) that worked great on my Dodge Ram and the XCT. Of course I ruined it a few weeks ago using it on the draft rods of my lawn tractor and destroyed the magnet. Might be time to buy another one!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts