Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed Victory spark plug wires (catalog#2880797-053)?If so, is there any claim of performance gain? Is the install simple? Thanks

·
13,262 Posts
There just pretty is all. Never Never pull plug wire using the wire.
Use the boot to pull wire. Auto store sell a plug wire puller buy one it will save you a lot of headaches

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
In the related-and-FWIW dept.:

Last (2014) fall, I ordered the Victory red plug wires, 2876145-015. Googling a few minutes ago, I see that that part has been superceded with another number.

I also ordered NGK iridium plugs (DCPR6EIX 8196), and went to my local Harbor Freight and bought a spark plug boot puller ( http://www.harborfreight.com/spark-plug-boot-puller-65440.html ).

One day over the winter, I replaced the stock plugs and wires; I had about 27,000 miles on my '12 XCT at the time. I had ordered the wires mostly because I'd read a few posts here or on the other forum, about the wires coming apart.

As it turns out:

1) The boot puller couldn't fit down the narrow and deep plug hole, to get underneath the boot, so I didn't use it.

2) I grasped the boots, by hand, as low and as gently as possible, and twisted and pulled a few times, and they came off. I don't believe I damaged the stock wires, but I used the new ones anyway.

This is a pretty trivial project, provided you have an air gun to blow out the wells after wire removal, a 5/8" plug socket that's not too thick, an appropriate torque wrench, a little anti-seize, a little dielectric grease, and a little common sense.

I haven't noticed any change in performance after the new plugs and wires, although I think the red wires look nice. With the iridium plugs, I expect not to bother doing this again for some years.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
I bought a set of the chrome-and-blue wires from WitchDoctor for looks only. Any performance gain you get by simply changing spark plug wires will range from non-existent to almost non-existent.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I got the yellow wires , no performance gain whatsoever ...

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I got the red Taylors from WD. Threw in an expensive set of Iridiums and fired her up!

WOW ! Holy CRAP! I cant believe the difference! Really none what so ever but I did notice a little smoother throttle response.

It was tune up time so I splurged a little.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I put a set of magnecors on the wifes bike (http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm)
If you want to learn about wires poke around their site. Especially the faq
I put them on any bike that I am replacing the wires on because they last the life of the bike. I've never had a set fail.
One less thing to worry about.

Even if you don't want their wires reading their site is worth the time.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I put a set of magnecors on the wifes bike (http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm)
If you want to learn about wires poke around their site. Especially the faq
I put them on any bike that I am replacing the wires on because they last the life of the bike. I've never had a set fail.
One less thing to worry about.

Even if you don't want their wires reading their site is worth the time.
MAGNECOR yeah I got thier plug leads on my old V8 Ford,
Thier leads are not only top quality but they are available in black, normal diameter which was important to me to retain an original look under the hood.
Theyre a good lead, I agree.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
MAGNECOR yeah I got thier plug leads on my old V8 Ford,
Thier leads are not only top quality but they are available in black, normal diameter which was important to me to retain an original look under the hood.
Theyre a good lead, I agree.
That's what I have in mine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Red ones are faster:D

I too ordered the red ones, I'm expecting massive power increases, lose 20 pound around my midsection, and some hair re growth on the back of my head.

I'm also expecting my girl friend to think I look like George Clooney.

If the above doesn't happen immediately! I'm sending those mothers back to WD!

(ha)

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
So what does the blue ones do ? It is stamped with the following :eek:

V
I
A
G
R
A

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
So what does the blue ones do ? It is stamped with the following :eek:

V
I
A
G
R
A
Hard to say, but possibly more duration and less dwell time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts