Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry but new to Victory rides and can't find a service manual for this 2001 V92C. I've been upgrading it since I got it last year and decided to change out spark plugs. Can I remove them without moving or removing the gas tank which sits right of top of them?

Also, been getting lots blue smoke coming out of stock exhaust at first ride. I have to keep choke on full for a long time before I can release it. I noticed the ride getting a little rough on 5th gear. Almost seems like blowback from the exhaust pipes. Also noticed wet spot on bottom exhaust. Bad? Fixable?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sorry but new to Victory rides and can't find a service manual for this 2001 V92C. I've been upgrading it since I got it last year and decided to change out spark plugs. Can I remove them without moving or removing the gas tank which sits right of top of them?

Also, been getting lots blue smoke coming out of stock exhaust at first ride. I have to keep choke on full for a long time before I can release it. I noticed the ride getting a little rough on 5th gear. Almost seems like blowback from the exhaust pipes. Also noticed wet spot on bottom exhaust. Bad? Fixable?
You can change them without taking the tank off, but it is not easy to. I don't know if you have ever had your tank off, in case you have not there is the quick disconect fuel ine at the rear, another return one under the tank, the vent hose, and the sending unit to undo, plus the bolts fron and rear.

Sounds like you need to clean your throttle bodies. Might make sure your battery is good too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got the gas tank off the bike. Wow! Little tougher than I thought and had to drain the fuel out of the tank first. I should have ridden it for awhile until empty. Anyway, lesson learned!

I now have access to the throttle body and yes afer removal of the vertical stacks got to see the inside and boy is it dirty! Plan on doing some major heavy duty cleaning. Any advise here is appreciated.

Ok, for the embarrassing question--I now have access to the spark plugs and but this something I have not seen before. When I pulled the back plug, the rubber came off along with long rubber tube! WTFO--is this the spark plug boot? I quickly returned it back to its place NOT knowing what to expect. Some help--am I on the right track? Is the plug at the end of this tube?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here's a couple more tips for ya-You don't have to completely remove the tank to inspect/change sparkplugs or do a compression test-just unbolt and lift the back of the tank a bit and prop it up to gain clearance & a swivel extension on a ratchet helps too. If you have a compressor blow out the plug well after you've loosened the plug and before you remove it-this will make sure no crap falls down into the cylinder. Put a generous coating of dielectric grease inside the boot-makes for easy install/removal in the future. I put a very thin coating of anti-seize on the plug threads, hand tighten, then torque to 12 ft/lbs. I use NGK DCPR7EIX iridium plugs in my '99, not because they're any better than copper but because they have a long life and extend maintenance intervals.
http://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=9703

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm about to change my plugs too for the 1st time. I got a 2002 TCD last year so I'm pretty sure the set up is about the same as the 2001. Was a little leary about pulling the gas tank and it sounds like I might not have to for just changing plugs. But it also sounds like I should remove it sometime soon, just to get a good look at the TB which will probably need cleaning. Thanks for the tips here and the link to the parts manual.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'm about to change my plugs too for the 1st time. I got a 2002 TCD last year so I'm pretty sure the set up is about the same as the 2001. Was a little leary about pulling the gas tank and it sounds like I might not have to for just changing plugs. But it also sounds like I should remove it sometime soon, just to get a good look at the TB which will probably need cleaning. Thanks for the tips here and the link to the parts manual.
I missed this last month so sorry for the late posting. Spray sea foam and a tooth brush on the TBs works great using mechanical fingers and a old tshirt to wipe them out. About 10k sems to be a fairly good service nterval for tb cleaning. Also, the fast idle lever was referred to as a chocke earlier. Just clarifying, it's a fast idle designed to work optimum with your handle bars to the left. You should see a decrease in idle if ou straighten them out. Fast idles hold be used to get her up to abut 1500 and take no more than a couple minutes before being able to go down to a smooth idle at 950 +\- 50. Dirty TBs will affect that a lot more than you might think.

Hope all went well F150 and good luck Dstan. Keep the questions and posts comin! Safe ridi all

Tim cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
I missed this last month so sorry for the late posting. Spray sea foam and a tooth brush on the TBs works great using mechanical fingers and a old tshirt to wipe them out. About 10k sems to be a fairly good service nterval for tb cleaning. Also, the fast idle lever was referred to as a chocke earlier. Just clarifying, it's a fast idle designed to work optimum with your handle bars to the left. You should see a decrease in idle if ou straighten them out. Fast idles hold be used to get her up to abut 1500 and take no more than a couple minutes before being able to go down to a smooth idle at 950 +\- 50. Dirty TBs will affect that a lot more than you might think.

Hope all went well F150 and good luck Dstan. Keep the questions and posts comin! Safe ridi all
Tim cheers
Well, you posted same day as me Tim, so no need to be sorry. ;)
My 2002 TCD only had 6000 miles on it when I got it last fall. Ended up with 7500 on it by the end of last year but when I started it up this year (after taking out of storage) it would idle around 700 with Fast Idle on and wheel turned to the left. After giving it a little throttle for about 3-4 minutes and shutting off Fast Idle, it idles right at 950. Once it's warmed up it runs great. So it does seem like it may need TB cleaning even with just 7500 miles on it (it IS 11 years old). Still a little leery about pulling tank. Might have to find me a 'mechanic' around here to walk me thru the 1st time. :eek: Thanks again for replying Tim!

Dave

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well, you posted same day as me Tim, so no need to be sorry. ;)
My 2002 TCD only had 6000 miles on it when I got it last fall. Ended up with 7500 on it by the end of last year but when I started it up this year (after taking out of storage) it would idle around 700 with Fast Idle on and wheel turned to the left. After giving it a little throttle for about 3-4 minutes and shutting off Fast Idle, it idles right at 950. Once it's warmed up it runs great. So it does seem like it may need TB cleaning even with just 7500 miles on it (it IS 11 years old). Still a little leery about pulling tank. Might have to find me a 'mechanic' around here to walk me thru the 1st time. :eek: Thanks again for replying Tim!

Dave
These thing are pretty easy to work on. If you are at all mechanically inclined you can do it. I took my 99 completely apart pretty much. I have had the tank off several times to. It is not the easiest thing int he world. Most likely you are going to find a mechanic that has never worked on that old of a victory and they will be learning it with you. I would just look it over, try not to have much fuel in it and go for it. Just my 2 cents, I never pay for it unless I have too.

Travis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts