Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my spark plugs the other day and they are dark as night. They were changed at 4300 miles. The bike now has 5840 miles. Is this normal wear or should I be worrying about something?

·
13,177 Posts
can't see how dark they are so can't tell you.
Guessing they're normal

·
Registered
968 Posts
Spend a lot of time on short trips or putting around town? With short bar hopping trips you'll end up with plugs that look like they came out of a lawnmower.

Part of the basic function with spark plugs is operating temperature. If you want a truer idea of how things are clean them up a bit or put new ones in then get it out on the highway for a couple of hours and let the plug work at burning off the excess like they are supposed to. If they continue to foul then you might have to dig a bit deeper as to the cause.

PS Assumed you are running with the stock plugs. A change there would effect results.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Not to thread jack , but how the hell do you get the spark plug boots off without wrecking the wire , I cant grab just the boot , and don't want to pull on the wire , what's the trick ??? My boot pliers will not fit , its too tight around the boots ...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thinner boot puller, 45 degree needle nose pliers or regular ones, paint can opener, etc. Pulling the boot, or worse the wire, sort of makes it work like a Chinese finger trap. You need to get in low and push it off rather than pull.

Two other little bit about spark plug removal. Use and air hose, a straw or piece of rubber tubing to blow out the dirt and crap that could be sitting around the plug. Anything left in the socket hole could fall into the cylinder when the plug comes out. Always put some dielectric grease on the connector before putting it back together. I also add anti-seize to the thread but that may be going a bit overboard.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Thinner boot puller, 45 degree needle nose pliers or regular ones, paint can opener, etc. Pulling the boot, or worse the wire, sort of makes it work like a Chinese finger trap. You need to get in low and push it off rather than pull.
Makes sense , thank you.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Makes sense , thank you.
Just woke up early sunday morning for Victory shop run
Re plug I put a piece of car heater hose on engine fin and lever on the lowest part of the plug boot with a large screwdriver while my other hand assists by holding the boot as well to esure steady upwards progress,
Gotta go

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Just woke up early sunday morning for Victory shop run
Re plug I put a piece of car heater hose on engine fin and lever on the lowest part of the plug boot with a large screwdriver while my other hand assists by holding the boot as well to esure steady upwards progress,
Gotta go
Thanks Brother !

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I changed plugs a year ago. I was checking my oil this week and although my sniffer does not work as well as it used to, I could have sworn I smelled gas on the stem. Stuck it in again and sniffed... a little gassy smell I think.

Do you guys think I should take a look at plugs and post you a pic?
Youre not sniffin gas again dill are you?..tut-tut!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I changed plugs a year ago. I was checking my oil this week and although my sniffer does not work as well as it used to, I could have sworn I smelled gas on the stem. Stuck it in again and sniffed... a little gassy smell I think.

Do you guys think I should take a look at plugs and post you a pic?
Gas in your oil , not a good sign ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts