Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 500 mile service and they replaced the plugs for some unknown reason. Anyway, has anyone gone to an iridium plug for longevity? The manual say 3k miles for plug change and i know iridiums will last 100k, well worth the investment.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm more interested in finding out why they changed the plugs at 500 USMC. I too have a Vegas and am up for my 500. Did they (the service tech) say why or give you the old ones??

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
...Anyway, has anyone gone to an iridium plug for longevity? The manual say 3k miles for plug change and i know iridiums will last 100k, well worth the investment.
Changing plugs often forces you to keep an eye on them, which could save your engine in the long run, since the plugs always like to tell a story when they come out. ;)

I like to collect old spark plus and label them with date and odometer reading when they came out. Well, I am most likely too anal and overprotective, but who cares? I'm happy with myself. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
I read the plugs also. I know there are some that think that's old fashion but I think it tells a story we should listen to.

Saved and labeled huh......obsessive compulsive with a touch of anal is what I'm seeing. :D

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I called and asked why they changed them after only 500 miles. The service tech said they do that as a normal practice at every service, the reason being that they have to pull them to inspect them so it's just as easy to change them. I don't mind they only cost $3 apiece and I like the fact that they're thorough. This is a great shop where they're all certified Victory techs so I trust them. He also said don't bother with iridium plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
spark plugs

Sounds like you got a good service department. Changing the plugs is always a good idea. The Iridium plugs - total waste of money. Listen to the service tech and you'll be on the bike for several, very happy, thousands of miles. Good luck to you.

·
13,177 Posts
I ran the iridium plugs in my last four HD's and found a little better gas mileage and of coarse my brain told me I picked up horse power.
Yes I will put the in the vision and they should be good for thirty thousand miles.

Work of cushion if you try to gap them with the round spark plug gapper or wire gapper you can and will bust the end off. They are really designed to have a special tool to gap them.
Take them out of the box put a little antiseze on the threads and put them in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts