Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase speaker lids in the near future. I know that their are quite a few options from various outlets including Ma Vic, RJC, HMD and even Voodoo Bike works among others. I am looking for feedback on quality and fitment if you have done the upgrade. I am leaning toward the RJC 6.5 option but also have interest in the Voodoo 8.8 to get a larger speaker for more low end punch. I am not completely against a 6x9 option like Vics but round speakers sound better.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
All I can relate is my limited experience with RJC's lids and the Vtwin option. I purchased RJC's first edition fîberglass lids. Horrible fit and my painter spent hours trying to get them to finish out. After the first set Rusty sent another, no charge, and they weren't much better. I returned both for a refund. Great customer service no questions at all. Spoke directly to Rusty on his cell.

I then tried the Vtwin install it yourself option. Very nicely put together and well engineered. But they use a speaker box on the inside of the lid that takes up the front third of the lid and extends into the bag bottom before you even attach a speaker. Depending on which speaker you choose there is even more space lost from the bag. This was not a problem with other lids. Sold them and moved on.

RJC's new lids are ABS I think. They are a heavy black plastic. Well made injection molded I'm sure. Hold their shape well and actually nicer than the stock lids. I had to trim about 5/8" of radius in the hole to fit my Hertz HCX 165's but no big deal at all. It IS custom and the holes are not designed to fit every speaker out there I'm sure. All in all I'm very happy.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Are those Mikes lids or the eBay ones? Look great!

·
Registered
597 Posts
They are actually the Voodoo's
MUCH tighter fit,eliminates vibration

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grh450, are you still running the stock head unit or have you upgraded to a different unit? What amp are you using with the 8.8? Also did you do JL in the fairing?

·
Registered
597 Posts
My reply to Dennis PM
Naturally, you will lose a little space in the bags, but not TOO bad
I have completely modified my dash to accept a Kenwood double din DVD deck, and I am running JL 6.5s ALONG with 2 RF compression drivers, mounted in the dash
System will be completed this week, once the controls for the Gauges show up,so I will have them displayed on the actual unit in the dash
Will be using 2 300 watt JL amps, BRIDGED, with more power going to the rear 8.8s
Here is a pic of the dash,before component install(Video coming soon!)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Nice work! Looking forward to the finished product.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Those look good...although I have heard a few have had issues with the Voodoo lids as far as the finish of the lids and how the inside molding where latch goes being funky looking...I have a chance to get these off someone for a good price but don't want to pay a lot to have them finished just to end up paying the same amount for the HMD ones. How did you deal with the latch area issue?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am waiting (no skills to do on my own) for someone to do more with our dash! Love double DIN! Touchscreen with gauges on the DIN is pimp'n! I know it will come soon!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Those look good...although I have heard a few have had issues with the Voodoo lids as far as the finish of the lids and how the inside molding where latch goes being funky looking...I have a chance to get these off someone for a good price but don't want to pay a lot to have them finished just to end up paying the same amount for the HMD ones. How did you deal with the latch area issue?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
All I can say is,in about 20 mins, the guy at voodoo had a lid installed on my bike. I was busy doing some other stuff on the bike, and did not actually see what he did. They actually fit better than stock

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes, I already know of Gino and Sykotic. I like their stuff.
I have my own that is slightly different, that is almost done

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Who did you use for getting the gauge info to work on your stereo. You should do a write up on the process for that aspect as this is something I am sure a lot of us would love to do. Are you able to choose what you want displayed (Oil pressure, Oil Temp, speed, tach, etc)? Looks awesome!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Who did you use for getting the gauge info to work on your stereo. You should do a write up on the process for that aspect as this is something I am sure a lot of us would love to do. Are you able to choose what you want displayed (Oil pressure, Oil Temp, speed, tach, etc)? Looks awesome!
Yes, you can decide what you want displayed. Most of the info is on the web page for Dakota Digital
Still getting closer

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts