Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this malformed speaker would cause any sound issues , I do not see any tears or holes in the surface . Not sure if it was built like this or happened over time , system has sounded a little distorted last season . It is the Magnum 6 speaker system .

IMG_5191.jpg

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's an odd little dimple there. Was it hitting the speaker grille maybe? If it's not torn it should be OK. If you are concerned, maybe pull the speaker out and see if you can pop that dimple out with your thumb from the back side?

·
Registered
348 Posts
The foam surround is only there to keep the speaker driver moving correctly. It also keeps the air trapped behind it as it should. If it was hitting the grill that would cause it to sound strange as those marks are cause by something sitting against it. Is the grill bent somehow?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No , the grills are real thick heavy plastic , not like the stock flimsy ones ... It doesn't look like there is any contact occurring .

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well..as I recall - and I've only seen one magnum component system installed - the midrange and tweeter speakers are mounted to the inside of the grill, and they do protrude back toward the woofer.

You said it sounded distorted....the woofer excursion could be causing the surround to hit those components....which would probably buzz a little and sound like distortion.

It certainly does look like that rubber surround has been hitting something or something has been resting on it for an extended time.

Reactions: LILMAGS500

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks skull , I will check the woofer and tweeter on the grille after work ....

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I bought a set of Magnum speakers for use on my XCT - both the woofers and the midrange cones had surrounds that looked exactly like that. They didn't seem to affect the quality of the sound, but they seemed to bottom out easily, and I ended up replacing them anyway...

[EDIT] Those surrounds are not rubber or foam, they are a type of cloth or treated fabric.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a set of Magnum speakers for use on my XCT - both the woofers and the midrange cones had surrounds that looked exactly like that. They didn't seem to affect the quality of the sound, but they seemed to bottom out easily, and I ended up replacing them anyway...

[EDIT] Those surrounds are not rubber or foam, they are a type of cloth or treated fabric.
Yes , they are a fabric , yours looked like this too @broggyr ? Maybe just the way are in some instances ?

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I just looked in here thinking that the thread title might have been about a photo of Rosie O'Donnell giving a talk.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Yes , they are a fabric , yours looked like this too @broggyr ? Maybe just the way are in some instances ?

Yep. I ended up not using them in the end, replaced with some "real" speakers lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep. I ended up not using them in the end, replaced with some "real" speakers lol

With what , and how do they sound ???

·
13,262 Posts
say I think KMC will be at Mom's this weekend

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
@LILMAGS500 For the fronts, I used a pair of Infinity REF-5002ix. Got them on eBay for about $55.

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-REF-5002ix-5-25-Inch-two-way-loudspeaker/dp/B007SNMDV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485477774&sr=8-1&keywords=ref-5002ix

For the rears, I used a pair of Dayton Audio ND140-4. Had to do quite a bit of trimming, not only for the depth, bit the outer dimension is about 1'8 larger than the OEM speakers. Good thing I have a Dremel.

http://www.victoryforums.com/34-victory-cross-country-cross-roads/177354-broggys-winter-work-2016-2017-a-12.html#post2175586

Don't let those little magnets fool you, these jobs have some of the highest cone excursion I have ever seen out of a 5.25" speaker (Peak at about 20mm!!)

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
say I think KMC will be at Mom's this weekend
I know there are things going on up at Mom's this weekend, but I don't think my bike will be one of them :D :D :D

·
Registered
244 Posts

Those sure look like a butyl rubber surround in the picture...but like I said...I've only seen one set of those speakers when we installed them on NoeMtz's old XC.

But I do agree with you on the sound quality of that upgrade sold by Vic. While better than the stock XC, to my ears it still doesn't hold up when you push it a little.

I've used a set of Focal speakers for about 70k miles and one of them finally gave up. I'm still looking for something that can rival the mid range clarity and the non-distorted sizzle of the inverted aluminum dome on the Focal when I've got the throttle open and rolling down the highway. I've tried several sets with a silk dome and nothing has been able to deliver yet.

And I've never had anything that really satisfied in the lower frequencies.

Reactions: broggyr

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Regarding lower frequencies, I agree. Just too much loss on a bike. Sounds damn good with the engine off though.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I finally got to go for a ride on my new one (dont ask, i melted something and now i have to pull the damn thing apart again) and i will say the Focals are loud as HELL. it seems like you cant put enough power to them to even make them distort. i could hear them clearly, at 80, while on the throttle, no baffles. the guy behind me told me what I was listening to when we got to the house.

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
Does anyone know if this malformed speaker would cause any sound issues , I do not see any tears or holes in the surface . Not sure if it was built like this or happened over time , system has sounded a little distorted last season . It is the Magnum 6 speaker system .

View attachment 205241
LILMAGS500 as someone said, the surrounds are to keep the speaker cone in position so it's coil does not rub on the center magnet. Push the paper cone in and out with your thumbs and see if you can hear or feel any scratching. If the coil is rubbing the magnet it will sound crappy and quickly self-destruct. If that's the problem, some speakers can be fixed by taking off the old suspension material and gluing on a new foam or rubber ring, but I doubt such a part is available for those particular speakers. However, if it's not scratching, then the problem could be as simple as something physically contacting them. Let's hope for that one:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts