Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a 2014 XC last year in August. So I was able to get a little more then a month riding before having to pack her up for the winter. I previously had a heavily upgraded 05 Yamaha V-star Silverado.

I want to start with a few cheaper mods that I can do early and get quick enjoyment out of. I am going to use this thread to post pictures of the upgrades and discuss them.

The audio upgrades that are on order now are the following:
Front fairing speakers: Hybrid Audio Imagine I61-2V2
Rear Trunk speakers: Hybrid Audio Imagine I51-2
Amplifier: Soundstream PN4.520D
Line Converter: PAC
Wiring: KnuKoncepts products

Performance Upgrades:
Victory Fuel Controller
LLoydz Timing Gear
LLoydz Air Filter

These performance upgrades seemed the easiest and quickest to do. I am also looking into the Freedom Performance 4" duals.

Finished the Speaker install. See below for pics of the bike and install process.

Breaking down the bike. Removed the Fairing.

Installed the Amp and the PAC line converter.

The new Hybrid Audio 6.5's in the front.

The 5.25's in the rear. I wired them into their stock wiring. So when I remove the rear trunk it disconnects the rear speakers still.

Front side again.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great speaker bad amp. The PBR300X4 have a tendancy to overheat. I would use the Soundstream Picasso Nano or Power Acoustik Razor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great speaker bad amp. The PBR300X4 have a tendancy to overheat. I would use the Soundstream Picasso Nano or Power Acoustik Razor.
I have read that in a few spots, I was planning on purchasing a small computer fan to install next to it. That should take care of that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Why noy just go the other way and eliminate any problems down the road. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
The Soundstream is less expensive and a much better amp than the Rockford... The Soundstream is not water resistant though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll go with the Soundstream. I am not too worried about water since it will be mounted under the Fairing and I never ride in bad weather (unless it catches up with me :).

Is this the one you purchased?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Echo i like your thought process... I am going to try and find a used tour pack and put my stock Kicker's in it, powered by the head unit. After this riding season I will send my bag lids to Vtwin audio and get the 6x9's put in it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've been running that SS for a long time and through some heavy downpours never had a problem

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have any of you guys replaced the rear speakers on the trunk? Can you put 6.5's in them? Or will they only accommodate 5.25's? I have been trying to locate something in the search, but have had no luck.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I think you can do 6.5".... I talked with a guy outside the local Vic dealer says he put 6.5" in. The same guy also told me his Vic was a stage 3 putting out 140hp on the dyno. I said mmm hmmm and walked away.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Speaking of water proof how do the Alpine SPS-510's do with water? I just want to know how careful I need to be. Also debating putting dyna mat over the top of the baffle if needed to keep the water out a bit more.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's funny. I've had that RF amp in my XC for two summers in the Houston heat. I put about 25k miles on a year. It has never overheated.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's funny. I've had that RF amp in my XC for two summers in the Houston heat. I put about 25k miles on a year. It has never overheated.
Do you have the 2 or 4 channel amp?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Speaking of water proof how do the Alpine SPS-510's do with water? I just want to know how careful I need to be. Also debating putting dyna mat over the top of the baffle if needed to keep the water out a bit more.
Are they a paper cone? I think you'll be fine. No harm on taking an extra step though. It's always a risk if you aren't putting waterproof products into an item that has the possibility of getting water on it.

I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule. But I have seen it on multiple forums as well that the item overheats.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule. But I have seen it on multiple forums as well that the item overheats.
I've read that too. I'm just sharing what's been true for me. A couple summers ago rode from Galveston to Katy with an on dash temp reading of 117. That's pretty hot. The amp didn't overheat...but I did. I've ridden for hours on end in sweltering heat and never once had the amp cut out or overheat.

I've also read that having the autovolume on will fry this amp...which is fundamentally impossible.

I've read a lot of stuff on forums that isn't necessarily fact (including this post). But, indeed, you could be right...it could just be that I'm lucky. I'll concede that. cheers

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I think you should install a Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro ..... :ltr:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've read that too. I'm just sharing what's been true for me. A couple summers ago rode from Galveston to Katy with an on dash temp reading of 117. That's pretty hot. The amp didn't overheat...but I did. I've ridden for hours on end in sweltering heat and never once had the amp cut out or overheat.

I've also read that having the autovolume on will fry this amp...which is fundamentally impossible.

I've read a lot of stuff on forums that isn't necessarily fact (including this post). But, indeed, you could be right...it could just be that I'm lucky. I'll concede that. cheers
Your definiately one of the lucky ones. There are a bunch of guys out there running them with no problem. It's the luck of the draw I guess.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Are they a paper cone? I think you'll be fine. No harm on taking an extra step though. It's always a risk if you aren't putting waterproof products into an item that has the possibility of getting water on it.
Per Alpine it seems like a composite cone and rubber surround. After testing it last night I ma just add some for the slight sound improvement. I have a buddy who gets it at a reasonable price so probably worth the few bucks.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/sps-510/Specs

I am hoping for the best with my x2 here in phoenix. May add a small like 80mm PC fan at some point as well.

As for autovolume my understanding is that you want to tune the gain with it off and then you should be ok. All autovolume does is increase the volume level in relation to speed, no real difference than if you were pressing the volume up as you twisted your wrist.

That said I have a buddy who works in car audio with an osciloscope who offered to help tune it the right way so I get max performance (no clipping) with the lowest gain possible to reduce heat. Might try that this weekend.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts