Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Speaker selection

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  IndyVictory 
#1 ·
So I'm in Walmart today and I see some Sony Xplode 6 1/2 4-way speakers rated at 540 Watts peak power per pair. They also had some 300 watt Pioneer speakers on the shelf. I know these are car speakers but would they get destroyed if I install them in my XCT? Also would I need the adapters for the speakers? They are not marine grade speakers and I would hate to waste money.

I want to replace my stock speakers and possibly add an amp in the process. Thoughts...

#2 ·
The stock speakers are not marine rated. You can use almost use anything you want. BestBuy sell Polk's for the same price range as wally world's stuff. Pay attention more to true RMS. Not peak wattage. A speaker rated at 50 to 75 RMS will sound better and an amp will power them nicely. They are more efficient than a speaker that is rated at 300 watts. If you are going to go the amp and 6.5 speaker route then check out HMD or V-twin Audio' site.

#3 ·
Slick is right... Don't worry about Max output, rms is the key. If they are walmart, I'm betting they have 25-50 Watt rms. I bought a set of Rockford power 6.5s from Amazon for around 80 and they have 75w rms. Theyneed an amp as your head unit only pushes 45 or 50w rms, I think.
Don't worry about marine grade as they are pretty much the same thing as regular speakers but with a waterproof sprayed on the top of the cone.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
Wow! I did not know the stock speakers are not marine grade. Did Victory think we would only ride the bikes on sunny days. lol... I will look into a high RMS rating. I can spray some waterproofing on the speakers and save the money for other stuff. ha ha ha...

#8 ·
I understand your concern, and I've had the same issues looking for my setup. But honestly, your speakers will be fine - especially if you go with 6.5s cause they will sit even further back from the grill (about another half inch or so.. Washing the inner fairing doesnt even get them all that wet, but i wouldn't recommend a pressure washer!! some water wont hurt most speakers, just do your best to avoid leaving your bike sitting in the rain for a day or so.

#5 ·
Wouldn't it be COOL if the speaker grills had a small "VISOR" on the top to "assist" in keeping the rain out...you know like cars have.

#6 ·
Lol.... That would be cool

#11 ·
I found this 6 1/2" speaker setup at Cycle Sounds. It has power Puck amplifiers so I don't have to find a spot for the amp, they attach to the speaker. I am sure I will have to modify the bike to make these fit.

http://www.cyclesounds.com/power-pucks-series-6-sp...

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
Reactions: BenD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.