Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else out there has had their speed-0 unlocked and if you have, did you get air temp when you did? I got mine unlocked, but no temp and reading the owner's manual it says that is one of the things I should get.
What say you?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I believe you need to also purchase an external temp sensor that plugs in somewhere in the harness.
From Victory parts catalog....
(Air Temp feature requires external sensor PN: 2875949, sold separately).

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe you need to also purchase an external temp sensor that plugs in somewhere in the harness.
From Victory parts catalog....
(Air Temp feature requires external sensor PN: 2875949, sold separately).
Interesting and understood...now. Not to drag out the issue, but I wonder if you then have to do something else to the speed-0 or if just plugging in the sensor unlocks that function. Seems to me that there would have to be another "unlock" to display the information provided by the sensor.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Interesting and understood...now. Not to drag out the issue, but I wonder if you then have to do something else to the speed-0 or if just plugging in the sensor unlocks that function. Seems to me that there would have to be another "unlock" to display the information provided by the sensor.
No second unlock required. Your speedo is either locked, either unlocked. Once unlocked, for temp reading to show up, you just have to plug in the temp sensor. When the temp sensor's not plugged in, the speedo ignores it and does not display a temp. I have mine unlocked, but never went to get the temp sensor. I figured if it's as reliable as the fuel gauge, I can use my skin to tell temperature better than it ever will. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had mine unlocked as well with the temperature probe installed. It appears to be fairly accurate.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I figured if it's as reliable as the fuel gauge, I can use my skin to tell temperature better than it ever will. ;)
I trust my skin as well, after all, I'm outside on the bike anyway...... it would be nice though if it was for the oil temp instead mind you.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No second unlock required. Your speedo is either locked, either unlocked. Once unlocked, for temp reading to show up, you just have to plug in the temp sensor. When the temp sensor's not plugged in, the speedo ignores it and does not display a temp. I have mine unlocked, but never went to get the temp sensor. I figured if it's as reliable as the fuel gauge, I can use my skin to tell temperature better than it ever will. ;)
Thank you for the intel, Sir.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i think the temp sensor is pretty accurate too. i have the
analog tach kit, so i leave the temp displayed.thank goodness
they dont mount the sensor by my right leg!
dont trust the unlock on fuel mileage calculations. do your own.
--irv

·
Registered
810 Posts
dont trust the unlock on fuel mileage calculations.
--irv
I find the 'range' function quite humorous- on mine, once I get down to one bar on the fuel gauge, my range tics off REAL quick...

I dont yet have the temp sensor, but will be getting it. It'd be nice to know just how cold it is sometimes...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
For you guys that have unlocked and don't have the temp function you can save some cash buying it online. All Polaris vehicles use the same ambient temperature sensor so when you're hunting the internet for one you'll see that they are cheaper for Polaris than they are for Victory and if they show Part Numbers you'll see they are the same for both brands.

·
13,002 Posts
I trust my skin as well, after all, I'm outside on the bike anyway...... it would be nice though if it was for the oil temp instead mind you.
If you saw your oil temp you would never ride.
Think there has been modern motorcycle for 30 tears and no one has ever said bike failed cause of oil temp.
Don't ride in stop an go when its a hundred degrees use common cents and you'll go far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have foud that if you discount the "reserve" tank of 1 gallon and calculate the divisions on the fuel gauge, it comes out to about .6 of a gallon for each tick. It seems to be pretty close for me. try it out. it can't hurt. Let me know.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am based in Australia, had mine unlocked and air temp is there..did not fit any additional sensor, so maybe already fitted to Aust bound bikes..cheers

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I've been reading through these posts and trying to figure out what you all are referring to in a discussion of unlocking the speedometer. I have working speedo and air temp. No idea if I'm locked or unlocked or what the difference would be. Sorry to be asking a dumb question, but what is a locked speedometer?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
with the unlock you get TACH, Average MPG, 2nd distance traveled, MPG instant, etc..
Yes, and for those still wondering what the unlock does, here's a list straight from Victory:

Expand the information provided by your instrumentation. An authorized Victory dealer must perform a reflash to unlock these features: second trip meter, tachometer in the LCD, average fuel economy, instantaneous fuel economy, Fuel range, trip time, volt meter, ambient air temperature (Air Temp feature requires external sensor PN: 2875949, sold separately).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts