Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my bike out of storage and upon first start my speedo and tach are not working. All other lights on the instrument cluster appear to be working. I decided to take it for a ride hoping it might kick on. I noticed only my left blinker (sitting on the bike) would turn on but would not shut off unless I turned the bike off. The right blinker wouldn’t work at all. I’m at a complete loss?

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,758 Posts
You probably should post what bike you have since you posted this in the general area.

I'd check fuses to start.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,758 Posts
I forgot how delicious wires are. There was a mouse nest in the headlight and they chewed the sh*t out of the wire harness. Probably beyond repair.
Nothing is impossible to repair. Look for one of the online copies of service manual they have wiring diagrams in there. Another option is finding a used harness on FB or eBay.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Quite a few years ago in an effort to squeak even more profit out of a vehicle the wiring harnesses were contracted out to the cheapest bidder. China. Part of the process to reduce costs was to switch the insulation from petroleum based oil to soya based oil. Tasty stuff. Although the manufacturers deny that's the cause of rodent problems some mechanic friends swear there was an increase. It did happen before because those little buggers just like chewing on things but I'm told not as much. Toyota was sued to include that wiring damage in their warranty but the lawyers didn't prove it well enough and the judge ruled in Toyota's favour.

Lots of mice and rats here on the coast. Wiring and plastic water lines seem to be a favourite snack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing is impossible to repair. Look for one of the online copies of service manual they have wiring diagrams in there. Another option is finding a used harness on FB or eBay.
You’re right! After I got done kicking the dirt, I took all the wiring harnesses apart and spliced 5 wires back together and taped up about a half dozen chafed wires. Put it back together and it’s as good as new. Everything is working again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts