Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bright light indication has quit working. (the blue light for high beam). Has anyone replaced lights inside the speedo? I seems to me that they should be replaceable. 1999 V92C #480

·
Registered
682 Posts
I don't know if they are or aren't. Have you found any info on it? I'll take a look in my service manual when I get a chance and see if there's anything about it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if they are or aren't. Have you found any info on it? I'll take a look in my service manual when I get a chance and see if there's anything about it
Thanks Ghost. It will be a few days but I plan on pulling the speedo and seeing if I can get into it. The Vic dealer said it looked like there were some replaceable bulbs but all part numbers he has it no longer available. Is Vic trying to get us to buy new bikes? They should be proud how many of the original bikes are still on the road. Seems that would be an advertising bonanza.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I couldn't find anything in my book about it. I would think it would have some kind of replaceable bulb, but it's hard to tell without taking it all apart

·
Registered
361 Posts
The high beam, signal lights, oil light, & low fuel lights are LEDs soldered into the circuit board and are not replaceable without trashing the speedo-there are 4 microbulbs that back light the dial that are replaceable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The high beam, signal lights, oil light, & low fuel lights are LEDs soldered into the circuit board and are not replaceable without trashing the speedo-there are 4 microbulbs that back light the dial that are replaceable.
Thanks, My high beamindicator quit after doing some work in the headlight bucket so maybe it's a connection issue and not the LED. I'll have some time to look at it soon and will post back.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thanks, My high beamindicator quit after doing some work in the headlight bucket so maybe it's a connection issue and not the LED. I'll have some time to look at it soon and will post back.
If your going to open the headlight bucket up pick up a tube of diametric grease and clean the military pin then pack it with the electric grease. Will help during those heavy rains. May help the high beam indicator.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If your going to open the headlight bucket up pick up a tube of diametric grease and clean the military pin then pack it with the electric grease. Will help during those heavy rains. May help the high beam indicator.

+1 on the dielectric grease. Might hit it with some contact cleaner too

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Today I had time to check and clean the connections to the speedo and look at the bulbs that are replaceable. As ByteN2it said the hi-beam is a diode and I'm not messing with that. After putting it back together the high beam indicator is still out. When it quit I was watching and it appeared to die a slow death. It would dim then flicker and dim some more until it was out completely. That seems strange for a diode, it died more like a filiment bulb.

I wonder if it might be in the high low switch on the handlebar?? Although the high beam is switching on and off normally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I took the dimmer switch apart since it was sticking when placed to the down spring loaded position (low and high beam together). I had doubts that the sticking switch had anything to do with the high beam indicator light it was a long shot at best but the switch needed cleaning and lubing anyway.

If anyone decides to do the same let me warn you that there is a spring and small round steel ball inside the switch that will not be easy to find if you aren't real careful, don't ask me how I know. The spring and ball provide the detent operation of the switch.

Guess I'll have to live with no high beam indication. oh well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Silly question

Does the headlight high beam work? Does it come on even though the indicator does not light? You said you were messing around in the headlight bucket when the issue occurred, what were you working on?

I was just thinking maybe the high beam filament in the headlight is out so without activation, no signal is sent to the indicator.

And I agree, Victory should be prouder of their creations, expect them to be on the road forever, and produce parts to ensure they do. I am baffled by the lack of aftermarket parts too. I want chrome side covers and can't find any.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You do know that there's a dimmer switch for the high beam indicator light? If you scroll through the mode selector switch on the front of the right handle bar grip to the 5th spot,
(scrolling in order it goes- clock,odometer,trip,fuel,high beam dimming, back light dimming, voltmeter) you should see a bar scale that you can adjust with the set selector switch on the front of the left grip. I know this is true on my 99 can't remember if the '03's MFD had the same functions. Check it out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks too both of you for the suggestions. The reason I was in the bucket was I installed direct wiring for the lights from the battery including relays. Now the only voltage going though my handlebar switch is that required to active the relays located in the bucket. I've temperarly rewired the factory wiring and still the head light dim/bright indicator does not work. The dimmer indicato barrs do work but no blue light. I really cannot see how installing the relays and heavy duty wire from the battery could have caused a problem. I do not see how it could have gotten a backfeed from the battery but who knows.

I installed a Cibie headlight and a Hella 80/100 watt bulb and let me tell you it lights up the road. The Cibie reflector housing cuts off the low beam like an HID and so far no one has flashed me while on low beam. I'd guess the head lights are 80 per cent better than stock. The heavy wiring and relays were required due to the high wattage H4 bulb from Hella.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts