Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don’t know why it cracked but wondering how long it will take to get dirt in it and start to look crapy. Probably can’t just replace glass?

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
You could smear a small line of silicone into the crack if you're worried about water and dirt getting in. Then take a razor blade and cut off any not needed around the crack.

I've never had one apart but I do think they can come apart. Maybe a local glazer can make you one from some tempered thin glass.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Speedometer Glass Cracked

The magazine "Motorcycle Classics" (think that's the name) has a couple add of gauge repair shops listed in their want-ad section. You might also try google for motorcycle gauge repair shops.

Sorry to read about the break.

·
Registered
599 Posts
think I would be tempted to silicone it up...as suggested up above 8) if it were the speedo...I'd be searching for a better solution...

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crack

I just want to keep dust and moisture out. I was talking to some of my friends and a suggestion was to put a thin bead of krazy glue on it. I also think the silicone would also work. Sitting on the bike you can’t hardly see it looking straight on it. If you use silicone, I would let it set up and use a good sharp window scraper blade to take the excess off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is pretty difficult to seal a crack in either plastic or glass that thin. If you can determine which it is that would help. A dealer may know, or it may show in the parts fiche offered online by many Vic dealers like: https://www.capitolcycleparts.com/

You may also be able to tap it with a metal object to hear the distinct difference between the "ping" of glass and plastic.

If it's glass you might try a couple layers of masking tape (one on top of the other) - on either side of the run - followed by a thin bead of silicone, followed by scraping off the excess with a single edged razor blade, followed by removing the tape by pulling it back against itself to leave you with some silicone on each side of the run. Silicone, or super glue, at that thickness - in your application - will have little strength, but the silicone can be used as a gasket.

You could use the same procedure with a plastic compatible silicone if the lens is plastic. Not all silicons are compatible with plastic.

The down side? How will you know if the crack was sealed all the way into the housing? Well, I guess that question kind of answers itself. Still, it could not hurt to try.

Good luck with the project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts