Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to voice this concern about the speedometer graduations. The Gunner face plate on the speedometer seems "out of place" when in km/hr mode. I'm from Canada where we use km/hr, but above 120 km/hr the graduations on the speedometer read-out become very small and difficult to read. The other day I had a difficult time and had to rely on my buddies bike to estimate my excessive speed (185 km/hr). It appears the speedometer face plate is designed for miles/hr where 120 miles/hr would be very readable on the speedometer.

Your Thoughts

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Why are are even thinking of looking at the speedo at those speeds? You're super illegal anyway.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you guys up there would just get with the program and use MPH and real gallons of gas instead of IMP gallons you wound't have a problem.
I'm surprised you ride on the same side of the road as us, And don't get me started on the strip searches every time i go up north.... :frown

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Ahem Rino2...Canadians gave up the Imperial gallon decades ago. You buy in very pricey liters.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Broggyr:

Once in a while you have to let it rip. You can't tell me you haven't opened it up before?

VCC14:

It's a Canadian bike. You can switch from MPH to KMpH using a short procedure. But the gauge face plate stays the same.

Rhino 2:
Just to let you know the Americans are the only ones in the world who use US gallons and MPH.

If figured this would stir up some discussion for the holidays

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
, but above 120 km/hr the graduations on the speedometer read-out become very small and difficult to read. The other day I had a difficult time and had to rely on my buddies bike to estimate my excessive speed (185 km/hr). It appears the speedometer face plate is designed for miles/hr where 120 miles/hr would be very readable on the speedometer.

Your Thoughts
Yes sirrrrr when we go fast with our group then the Ducati or Goldwing must tell me the speed we had, coz i cannot see anything and don't want to look on these small numbers anyway .....

My rule is, when the bike stuttering at sixed gear then it's 200 Km/h sooo i do not need to look on the speedometer . i know I'm there .

·
13,236 Posts
long as you don't say what year it is why not go see the dealer.

By the way your lucky most bikes don't have a button to push to change from mph to kmph
or are you just bragging how fast your bike goes

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
All these bikes go the same speed .... RPM limit & speed limit ...

Choosing your Mph or Km/h i think there is a option in the toggle switch function ? .... When you set the clock then you can find it ? I never touched that ... Don't wanna screw it up .... Nobody to fix it here ....

I do not believe the vic speed needles are very accurate ... So don't worry about how fast your going mate ...

Just ride that vic. And be careful

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
It's actually pretty much right on. Way better than my suzuki
Mines fairly spot on too, but being a 2010 Vegas the numbers are the same all the way round.
Anyway without reading glasses I just gauge where the needle is.
Rest of my visions fine just Speedo blurry.
Seen the newer Speedos and glad I got an old one.
Plus the orange light inside is cool.
Riding today with a full face helmet to protect skin cancers on my nose after applying black salve.
My bikes a lot quieter and the pegs scrape a lot more, must be the false sense of security I reckon...

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Ok that is good to know that Vic speedometer is fairly accurate ..

·
Registered
365 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]I found the speedo on my first Vegas very difficult to see especially at night so I fitted the optional digital item which was a revelation,much easier to see and better features. Alas I sold it with the bike and years later I have another Vegas and same problem.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]I found the speedo on my first Vegas very difficult to see especially at night so I fitted the optional digital item which was a revelation,much easier to see and better features. Alas I sold it with the bike and years later I have another Vegas and same problem.
Maybe they have what you can use. I have ordered many things from them and never disappointed. Free shipping too!
digital speedometer motorcycle - Buy Cheap digital speedometer motorcycle - From Banggood

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The only reason that numbers over say 130 even exist on the face of the speedometer is because Polaris is aware that some people use KM/Hr. Unlike most manufacturers, they make the scale switchable, which I find handy when I visit my dad in Canada. While I am waiting to clear customs I turn off the ignition, hold the select switch on the left bar in and turn it back on. That sets me up to switch units from miles to KM as well as ºF to ºC and gallons, imperial gallons or liters. Anywhere close to a posted speed limit the scales they give me are great because posted speed limits are seldom over about 110 Km/Hr and in Ontario they seem to top out at 100.
As far as the strip search at the border, you must be on some list they have of undesirables. I go through customs in both directions with little more than a wave. Last time I returned to the US from Canada I was using an expired green card with a stamp on the back saying it was extended until they could send me a new one. Even with that, I had no trouble except having to ask the US guy to turn the card over and read it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm not sure having larger graduations at that speed would do you much good regarding accuracy anyway. Every motorcycle I've owned has never been accurate. The story in the '70's was the Japanese manufacturers didn't want their names associated with reckless driving so they purposely calibrated them higher than the actual speed. It makes sense when you remember how accurate and detailed they built to specs on everything else.

My Vic is out a very stable 7% travelling at anything over 60kph. A figure I confirm on almost every ride with so many of the "YOUR SPEED" radar signs we have scattered around here.

If you really want accuracy a GPS is the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Let's be very clear here: just because I asked what you were doing doesn't mean I don't ;)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Another way to see what your speed is -- or was, later on -- is to use a GPS, or even some cheap or free apps on smartphones these days. A GPS is pretty accurate if you're going in a straight line, much better than most speedos.

On my Burgman 650 -- that's a scooter from Suzuki, twist and go, etc., for those unfamiliar with it -- I also put in a SpeedoHealer, which is a device that corrects the speedometer (and there are a few other companies that make similar devices). The Big Burgers were typically 9% - 10% off, and had a huge digital speedo readout staring you in the face. So I corrected it, even though, yes, I could do the math in my head without that device.

Here's a shot of my Garmin Nuvi 200 from 2009... of that 650 scooter (for the roundtrip to the MotoGP in Indy):

Attachments

Reactions: broggyr
1 - 20 of 20 Posts