Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read almost every speedometer issue on these forums so just trying to get some opinions here. 2017 Highball here. I noticed last week I had some condensation in my speedometer. 2 days later speedo goes out. No back light, nothing. Bike runs, horn, signals etc work. Checked all fuses and they are fine. So it's either a bad speed sensor or bad speedo right? Normally I'd think just sensor but the condensation has me thinking otherwise. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
If it were mine, I'd be taking it apart and looking for possible failure points (corrosion, etc).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: Checked all wires, no corrosion. Bought speed sensor and nothing. Bought a used speedo off Ebay and it works. But the speedometer I bought had a few thousand miles more than mine. Any way to sync it up?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Odometers are designed to not be easily altered for obvious legal reasons.
You might be able to get a dealer to do it. Or possibly Frankenstein parts together from both to get a working unit with proper mileage.

If odometer is only issue I'd just record the difference in records with the date because you will need that for title and ride on with a working speedometer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I can buy a brand new one for about $300. So would that come with zero miles? I guess my question is, is the speedometer the only place that 'records' the miles? Perhaps use this used one until my original one gets repaired?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
From my experience on other bikes the odometer is locked in the speedo electronics. Hence why you see different numbers.
Like I said dealer might have some voodoo they can do to change the value on them. I'd ask. Can't hurt to find out.
I think you buy new you're back to zero miles unless dealer can set it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I contacted Victory about the speedo on my XR and was linked to VDO as they are the ones who make our speedos. Since it doesn't seem to be plug and play for aftermarket speedos and apparently VDO doesn't work on the stuff they make and sell, they did give me some repair places that might be able to help either repair mine or potentially load the mileage from my unreadable gauge to a new speedo...

my plan is to skate by for the rest of this riding season and then send my speedo out while the bike is up for winter....
this might help you as well....

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts