Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the new 2013 CR classic. It has spoke wheels on it and I am wondering if these rims require tubes or if the rims are tubeless? If they do require tubes, isn't that a step backwards?

Next question is how hard are they to clean?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Interesting question. The only bike i am aware of with factory tubeless spoked wheels is the BMW R1200GS. The spokes exit the wheel at the very edge, outside of the tire.

I gave up riding on spokes after a couple flats over the years. Tubes can go flat "right now"! Caught a nail on my Road King, damn near got killed.

With a nail or such, a tubeless will generally go flat much slower.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I suspect those spoked wheels are very likely tubed just as they are on the Highball. I was skeptical of going back to spoked wheels after several decades of not having them, but these aren't your Daddy's spoked wheels. The material is much better at resisting corrosion and very little need for any adjustment. I can attest to the value of tubed tires after getting a nail in the rear tire last month. Instead of replacing a $250 tire I replaced a $30 tube.

As far as cleaning, I haven't had any problems. I just use a soapy brush then rinse them off. However, it's a WHOLE lot more painful with saddlebags that block your access to the wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
I had them on my 2006 Fatboy and they are a pain to keep clean. Brake dust, road grime, rain , you name it they look good till you drive it down the road. Then you have to jack the bike up and clean each little spoke one at a time... I will never have them again, and yes they have tubes which cost more money tire time..:crzy:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I suspect those spoked wheels are very likely tubed just as they are on the Highball. I was skeptical of going back to spoked wheels after several decades of not having them, but these aren't your Daddy's spoked wheels. The material is much better at resisting corrosion and very little need for any adjustment. I can attest to the value of tubed tires after getting a nail in the rear tire last month. Instead of replacing a $250 tire I replaced a $30 tube.
I picked up a nail with about 600 miles on my tubeless XR rear tire. Instead of replacing a $250 tire, I plugged it for about a buck. The tire now has 10k miles on it.

I could do that in the middle of nowhere in about 10 minutes. Could you replace your tube in the middle of nowhere?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up a nail with about 600 miles on my tubeless XR rear tire. Instead of replacing a $250 tire, I plugged it for about a buck. The tire now has 10k miles on it.

I could do that in the middle of nowhere in about 10 minutes. Could you replace your tube in the middle of nowhere?
You had to do it didn't you? :) Bring up those controversial tire plugs. I have also used plugs in the past but only long enough to get the tire replaced. With only 2 wheels on the ground, I want the best chance available of not having a complete tire failure. cheers

·
13,262 Posts
You can go to dealer and look. Its easy to tell a inner tube stem from a tubeless rim.

The after market cam out with tubeless rims back in the late 90's and every one has followed them. H-D has had tubeless spoke wheels since 2000. I would think Vic does to just to cut coast.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You can go to dealer and look. Its easy to tell a inner tube stem from a tubeless rim.

The after market cam out with tubeless rims back in the late 90's and every one has followed them. H-D has had tubeless spoke wheels since 2000. I would think Vic does to just to cut coast.
Harley may have them, but they are an upgrade, not stock. Vic doesn't have them period.

·
13,262 Posts
Sorry your out of touch. All stock spoke wheels from Harley are tubless.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts

You did not read my post I had a brand new 2006 FATBOY with TUBES in the tires and no Harley uses TUBES in their spoke wheels!!!!!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts