Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever try to put a springer on one of these? The other day i was getting in the last ride of my season and i began to wonder about putting one on my 2000 V92c.

I was looking on jpcycles under V92c's for one and came up with this.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/505-349

Now while it claims that it's a universal unit, i was curious what it might take to adapt this to my cruiser. Any ideas? I've browsed these forums for a while, and i've seen some VERY knowledgeable posters. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Very interesting thought. A lot to consider, like mounting a fender, wheel and caliper. May also have to do some machine work as well.
I would think you would have to budget at least $1,500 for the parts and labor.

Thinking about it i wonder why Victory never offered a springer for any
of the models. I think it would look great on a Kingpin or Boardwalk also.

Maybe someone can photo shop some pics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the research i've done lately (and probably should have done BEFORE buying the bike) i've found that the V92c doesn't really offer much of anything in the way of customization. Everything offered is for newer model Vics or (gasp!) harleys...

I do not plan on mounting a front fender at all. I'm sort of a minimalist when it comes to my bikes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very interesting thought. A lot to consider, like mounting a fender, wheel and caliper. May also have to do some machine work as well.
I would think you would have to budget at least $1,500 for the parts and labor.

Thinking about it i wonder why Victory never offered a springer for any
of the models. I think it would look great on a Kingpin or Boardwalk also.

Maybe someone can photo shop some pics.

From everything I've read, the sprinters handle pretty aweful. They do have a lot of cool points though. Didn't HD quit offering the springer?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think the springer's are more for the cool factor. I've always liked the way they looked.

Not sure if or when HD stopped offering them.

Your right PingPongJack, If you want to customize these bikes you have to make it or adapt something from Harley, OUCH!
If you decide to do it keep us posted with plenty of pictures.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Springers look cool, but don't ride as well. HD no longer offers a springer.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Shouldn't be that hard really. Just need to compare neck and stem diameters as well as lengths. Guys run em on xs650's all the time. You might have to do a bearing swap and or press in/out a new stem. The neck/steering head swap would work too. I got a couple custom machined HD necks laying around if you want. $50.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cut the neck off a dyna. Rake it a bit. Go with black springer. Find a trusted machine shop or make some brackets yourself. 1500 counting the front end. I think its do able. Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
1500 isn't too bad. I always keep some extra money on hand. Especially considering the tranny on this thing is a ticking timebomb.

Shouldn't be that hard really. Just need to compare neck and stem diameters as well as lengths. Guys run em on xs650's all the time. You might have to do a bearing swap and or press in/out a new stem. The neck/steering head swap would work too. I got a couple custom machined HD necks laying around if you want. $50.
Got any photos? Would you like to message me, and we can discuss this further?

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
The reason springers are not commonly used isn't because of handling. They work fine on cruisers who don't get too spirited in the twisties. The issue is the brake. There just hasn't been a way found yet to put a good brake with good stopping power on a springer. This is why HD stopped putting them on their cruisers.

I think if a way can be found or engineered to overcome this shortcoming; they will again become popular and available on some stock bikes.

I think it would look great on a Hard Ball. A minimalistic front fender or no fender and no front brake would probably be the best way to go. I rode a chopper Pan Head HD for 5 years like that and it just had standard juice brakes (not disk). One just needs to adjust their riding style to accommodate the extra time and space it takes to stop.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Thanks for posting this pic HC. Nice looking bike. If it were mine I'd lose the tail dragger bags; or at least modify them so I could ride in a curve now and again. Otherwise; lookin' great!
The rear section of the bike comes off in one piece... it can be ridden as a bobber.... it is for sale at $40,000.

"Ultimate Builder Competition International Motorcycle Shows Street Mod Champion 2013 - Sturgis
Lucas Oil Tin Lizzy Motorcycle Show Radical Class Champion 2013 - Deadwood South Dakota

2007 Vegas Chopped rear tail section. Entire rear steel tail section removes giving open tire bobber. Springer front end. 26" wheel. Rear air ride. Custom paint by Brad Bole (painter of Lucas Oil Bike 2 years running).

$40,000"

http://www.vicbaggers.com/forsale.html

·
Registered
454 Posts
The rear section of the bike comes off in one piece... it can be ridden as a bobber.... it is for sale at $40,000.

"Ultimate Builder Competition International Motorcycle Shows Street Mod Champion 2013 - Sturgis
Lucas Oil Tin Lizzy Motorcycle Show Radical Class Champion 2013 - Deadwood South Dakota

2007 Vegas Chopped rear tail section. Entire rear steel tail section removes giving open tire bobber. Springer front end. 26" wheel. Rear air ride. Custom paint by Brad Bole (painter of Lucas Oil Bike 2 years running).

$40,000*

http://www.vicbaggers.com/forsale.html

It is a nice looking machine, but not 40,000 nice, not to me. For 40k I could have a couple of nice bikes, been there, done that, got the T-shirt and plaque from Harley to prove it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 25 Posts