Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The drive belt on my XCT is exhibiting a squeaking sound upon acceleration. This sounds like a very aggravated bird chirp. I know that this is a common occurrence but can someone remind me if this is typically caused by the belt being too tight or too loose? I plan to adjust the belt tension soon and just want to have an idea of the direction to adjust. Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Usually it is due to the belt not being centered and rubbing on the side of the rear pulley.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Alignment instructions...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
I never could completely adjust the chirp out of my XC so I used different products on the inside of the pulley or outside of the belt like soap, wax, teflon lube, etc. What worked best for me was a Teflon grease made for bicycles. It lasts 6 months to a year depending on how much I ride that bike which honestly hasn't been a lot for last year or so.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L5YYYA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Mine chirped whenever the belt got loose. I adjusted the tension and haven't had another instance since then. The alignment was fine before and fine after (as close to perfect as I could get it.)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Check alignment and tension. Squeaky under acceleration would be slipping belt imo. Don't go too tight though or you'll be replacing bearings like me thanks to prior owner.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
My bike started chirping right after my first tire change. I could minimize it, but that was it. When it came for my next tire change, I took the wheel off myself. I rotated the pulley one hole and haven't had the chirping since.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mostly good ideas. However, I am quite confident that the belt is not slipping as it has the large ribs on the inner surface that mate with the indentations on the front and back pulleys. The belt would have to be super loose to slip as this would similar to a chain jumping a tooth on the sprocket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a chirp a while back, could not get it to go away, no matter how many times I cleaned it or adjusted it. The shop could not get it to stop chirping either. They ended up getting Vic to pony up for a new rear pulley & belt. That solved my problem.

2013 XC

If the link works, this was my chirp.

https://youtu.be/rR0l4iUzNJI

·
Registered
295 Posts
I used a beeswax crayon, used for squeaky door hinges, and rubbed it along the edges of the belt as I rotated the wheel by hand. Also, clean the belt with Krud Kutter and a stiff nylon brush.

·
Registered
317 Posts
This is a constant issue on mine also when cold or rainy...when warm on a nice day it doesn't do it.... no amount of adjustments to tension or centering, No scrubbing or cleaning has ever fixed the issue. I have now considered a new pulley and belt but that will just have to wait. For the time being I lightly lubricate the belt on a regular interval so it won't drive me up the wall or off a cliff.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you do some of your own work I would take a shot at doing an adjustment myself. The belt shouldn't be too tight, seen new bikes at the dealers with the belt with like 0 flex at all. Just adjust the belt side adjuster SLIGHTLY to move the belt away from the side which is rubbing. Don't try to get it to run perfectly center as it is next to impossible to attain. If you get rid of the chirp your good to go regardless where the belt is riding.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My bike started chirping right after my first tire change. I could minimize it, but that was it. When it came for my next tire change, I took the wheel off myself. I rotated the pulley one hole and haven't had the chirping since.
Just curious, what the heck made you think of doing that? I'll bet you just did a better job aligning the wheel when you put it back on.:wink

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do all my own work ... well except for tire changes. Those are nuts to try to do with hand tools. I've adjusted tension and alignment several times before. I have the tool to measure belt tension but it is awkward to use. I just wanted someone to remind me if the chirping was usually related to a belt that was too loose or too tight. Thanks, folks. I plan to tackle the alignment and tensioning tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do all my own work ... well except for tire changes. Those are nuts to try to do with hand tools. I've adjusted tension and alignment several times before. I have the tool to measure belt tension but it is awkward to use. I just wanted someone to remind me if the chirping was usually related to a belt that was too loose or too tight. Thanks, folks. I plan to tackle the alignment and tensioning tomorrow.
If I remember, squeal on accel is tight, squeal on deceleration is loose.

There was also an issue on some bikes where the belt would rub on the front belt cover. Just another possibility.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I had that annoying chirp on my 14’ Ness XC within weeks of buying. It had about 2000 miles or so on it by then. The dealer charged me $40 or $50 to “adjust” it. I then headed for Laughlin that weekend. When I got back to Phoenix it started up again. The dealer said to put dressing on it and it was just normal with some of them, or they could adjust it again and charge me again. I did not take that for an answer. I made them start a claim and found that there were defective pulleys. Polaris just did want to broadcast that. Anyway they changed both the pulley and the belt and I never had a problem again.
I’m guessing it has to do with the relief angle on the pulley , not sure though. If I had that problem on a bike with no warranty I would probably try chucking the pulley up in my lathe and increase that angle on both sides a little and see if that gets rid of the noise.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
In my experience, they squeak, when cold, when they are too loose. I adjust it cold so with the bike on the side stand I have 1 to 1 1/4” of upward play by poking it with my foot. I got around 110,000 miles out of my first belt. I’m not worried about the second.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts