Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '07 Vegas 8-ball that I have noticed making "squeaking" noise at the end of the last year. It started out as only making the noise for about the first 2 or 3 miles of riding and would go away, usually in 1st gear when easing off the clutch (when the bike "ratchets" until you give it gas). It seemed to be more prevalent during the mornings when it was colder, but still would make the squeaking noise after it would sit for a while even when the temps got warmer. This year I've noticed that the squeaking noise does not go away after it's warmed up from riding. It's not a constant squeaking and I can't pin point where it's coming from (Front or Rear of the bike). Thinking I figured it out this morning coming from the front shocks whenever I would hit little bumps in the road............. I happened to pull in the clutch to coast and it stopped. Now I'm starting to get nervous about it being my clutch. I can tell you this is not the belt rubbing on the bolt boss because I have already ground that down (a common problem on the '07's). I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any known problems with the clutchs on the '07 bikes? I know this is a shot in the dark and it's hard to describe, but I thought I would throw it out there before I take it to the dealer. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So if anyone cares, I brought my bike to the dealer this past weekend. It turns out the squeaking noise was a loose belt and slightly misaligned. From what I'm told the newer thinner belts like to run as tight as a banjo string, while the older fatter belts like to be run on the loose side. It was about a 10 minute fix and my local dealer didn't charge me 1 cent to do it either. I love those guys!!!

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Kevin you probably missed it because it isn't in the Tech section. I am moving it there now for future reference.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I don't know squat about Banjo's! LOL

But the tension on the belt should not be really tight as it could cause premature wear of the bearings?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Kevin you probably missed it because it isn't in the Tech section. I am moving it there now for future reference.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I don't know squat about Banjo's! LOL

But the tension on the belt should not be really tight as it could cause premature wear of the bearings?

Tighter then 9mm of deflection is to tight, and can cause damage to output shaft bearings. By the time you get there tough the belt is usually pretty much howling

1 - 5 of 5 Posts