Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I developed this weird squeaking noise under acceleration when I pulled the ole cross country out of storage. I went through and did a spring inspection and changed oil. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary and started noticing a weird squeaking but I'm not a hundred percent sure if it's coming from the motor or drive pulley or what. Has anybody notice something like that from their cross country or 106 and cured it? It only does it when it's cold and it sounds like it's coming from the right side. Any help would be great.. it's a 2012 XC with 23k on it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is it your drive belt? My Storm chirped after a tyre change, I had them realign the wheel and problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
My bike developed a bad belt squeal at the end of its first season. When I changed the rear tire, I also changed the location of the rear pulley; I rotated it one bolt over, and I have not had a single peep out of it since. Either that, or I have ben EXTREMELY lucky in maintaining the belt alignment...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be the belt squeaking
"hopefully". But I put a new rear tire on last spring and just it started after I took it out of storage this year. But makes sense cause it goes away after a couple miles.. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Easy way to find out if it is the belt.
Rub some soap from a bar of soap on it. Soap is harmless and can be washed off afterwards so it doesn't pick up dirt.
If the sound goes away it is the belt tension or alignment. To get the soap off ride in the rain or wash it off.
If you find out the belt is the cause find the issue and fix it immediately before the misalignment or tension problem starts wearing the rear pulley, which will happen if you continue to run it miss-aligned or not tensioned properly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like everybody thinks it's​ the belt, so I'll start there this weekend. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2011 Cross Country w/multiple adaptations
154 Posts
squeak Other than the drive belt...

Other than the drive belt... another possibility, if its not repetitive... If the right side cover isn't on all the way, the seat will rub on it and annoy the crap outta you. Just thinkin' "outside the box"

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Other than the drive belt... another possibility, if its not repetitive... If the right side cover isn't on all the way, the seat will rub on it and annoy the crap outta you. Just thinkin' "outside the box"
Hey suggestions help!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
It sounds like everybody thinks it's​ the belt, so I'll start there this weekend. Thanks all!
Another major area where squeaks come from, especially after the bike has been sitting is the rear suspension pivot pin. As I just wrote in another thread lubing this pin is often over looked, it should be inspected and lubed at least every rear tire change.

·
13,188 Posts
A quick easy way to tell if its the belt is pull in clutch when you hear the squeak. If it stops its the belt

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
A quick easy way to tell if its the belt is pull in clutch when you hear the squeak. If it stops its the belt
I'm waiting for you to post your famous squeaking video :D :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried that once before and it did quit but it only seems to do it under acceleration.. this weekend I'm gonna do some more investigation. Seems weird to me that it didn't do it last fall and started right after I dug it out of storage.. thanks all

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where in Minnesota does the infamous vision Johnny live? Just curious. I also live in Minnesota..

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
True, but people that come on here don't always use the approved lexicon of descriptive adjectives to describe the issues they are having. Depending on whether the belt is too loose/too tight/wet or dry the sound can change. At least that my experience.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I'm an idiot! The high pitched​ squeaking I've been hearing. Through much investigation I discovered it's my highway peg on the right side. I couldn't find the noise without riding it. So I decided to take it for a ride today. As I was riding I leaned over to try to hear where it was coming from and slid my foot over to the peg and it went away, took my foot off and it came back. I don't why that would make that sound but it does. I put some new washers in and problem is solved. Frustrating but cheap. Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Glad you found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 21 Posts