Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're like me you've tried everything and it just keeps squeaking. I tried silicone lube and it would go about 350 miles before it would start up again. But I just tried this stuff I got at Home Depot and I'm over 1200 miles. This is the best lube I've found. Cover the wheels etc when you spray it on the pulley and belt because when it drys its a white color.

Thought I would pass the info along.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I started getting a squeaky belt right before my first tire change in 2014. I must have adjusted it properly when remounting the wheel, because I have not gotten a single squeak out of it since then, and I changed the tire again late 2015.

The first time, I dismounted and remounted my own tires, and the bead breaker I had required me to remove my pulley. Not sure if I out it back in the same spot, but zero squeaking since, even after the 2nd change.

Something has got to be out of alignment. Perhaps take the pulley off of the wheel and rotate it one or 2 holes?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Adjusting the belt so it wouldn't squeak was a pain for me as well. finally have it quiet. Secret?:

I adjust the belt to the looser side of tolerance on my CCT.
I have it adjusted almost touching the inside of the rear pulley.
Each time I tried to adjust it even 1/32 of an inch more to the middle of the pulley (still very visibly left of center) that belt would walk itself to the outside of the pulley and squeak like crazy.

Something about the warpness is some pulleys won't allow centering but only just off the inside left of the pulley where it will stay quiet.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
That's where mines sat for 60,000 miles and it's a bit on the loose side.
Not a problem at all, I never mess with it, my tyre shop knows Vic's and the fact there's no need to mess with adjustment once past initial break in adjustment.
Set and Forget.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Had a Kawasaki 900 Vulcan. They were dang picky about belt adjustment. Not so much tension, but where it had to run on the rear pulley. The rear swing arm had like notches on it for alignment I suppose. But the way the belt had to run one side was to onside of a mark and the other side was slightly to the other. Maybe a 1/16th or so offset if you were looking at it. You would think it had the tire set a bit crooked, but it never wore the tire funny.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
My bike had a squeak pretty much right after I bought it. I took it in a couple months ago to have it adjusted and they cleaned and sprayed dressing on it, which lasted about 1000 miles. So I took it back in a few weeks ago and they wanted to try adjusting it agaiin and charge me again. I told them no, I want it repaired. I'm not doing this every month. They were able to get it it fix under warranty. They replaced the belt and pulley.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
33,000 kms and one rear tire change on mine and never a squeak and I didn't change the adjustments when I replaced the tire.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
My solution: get to be an old geezer, wear hearing aids off the bike but custom-molded ear plugs while riding, and no belt squeak ... or maybe there is, but I can't hear it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My solution: get to be an old geezer, wear hearing aids off the bike but custom-molded ear plugs while riding, and no belt squeak ... or maybe there is, but I can't hear it.
Please provide instructions for the Blue part ... :laugh

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
13,003 Posts
paraffin wax works better then any spray on stuff
it will not shorten the life of your belt

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
That's all well and good, but you're still only addressing the symptom, not the cause.
Exactly. I have narrowed it down to the belt rubbing the side of the pulley at certain times, usually when it's cold or damp for some reason. I had mine adjusted when they did the initial "RIPP YOU OFF" MANDATED TO PROTECT YOUR WARRANTY Oil change. Mind you the dealership is NO LONGER ALLOWED ANYWHERE near my bike, I hate crooks. It had been fine until the wife and I ended up forced to run about 10-15 miles of gravel road, then talk about slaughtering birds. Cleaned itself up after about a half hour back on pavement but not gone completely until I washed the belt and bike thoroughly. Kept coming back every so often after that, so then I bought the tool and made the adjustment to the wheel and belt alignment. It only squawks on very cold mornings (below about 50 or so) and once I have ridden for 15 minutes to a half hour it goes away.

Personally I feel it just takes finding the sweet spot where the belt rides almost dead center of the pulley, NEVER had a squeak out of it as long as the belt rode the center of the pulley. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Run it a bit on the loose and to the left and it's sweet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I said in my original posting I have tried everything, including taking it to a VICTORY only dealers top GOLD Certified Victory tech who used to work on all the Police bikes as well as for Arlen Ness, he tried twice and couldn't fix it nor could he guarantee me what was the exact cause. According to his conversation with Polaris it's a known problem with out a known solution.
He said I could change the pulley and it MIGHT fix the problem, it has for some but for others it was a waste of money with no refund. So much for asking the dealer for a new pulley.
You can adjust the belts until your blue in the face, change the rear pulley, change the belt etc and its NO guarantee it will solve the problem. Maybe there's 5% defective parts out there. For those who made it work I'm happy for you but for those of you who have TRIED everything and still can't live with the noise this lube might work for you.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
So belt started squeaking about 2000km ago... Pulled the bag off to have a look. Outer edge, inside of pulley is kind of chipped looking and has a couple really sharp spots. Something is gone wonky here... Obviously I am out of alignment if this has happened. I need a new rear tire anyways so I guess I will take it in, instead of just taking rear wheel off and bringing that in.

·
13,003 Posts
some tire machines jaws don't open wide enough to clear the belt.
They will just nick the edge of the flange on the pulley. So be careful.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Only time mine ever sqweeked was after the Dealer screwed with it ( twice) een after I told them not to touch the belt! I have mine set slightly off center- towards right side, but not touching the edge of pulley. I have had to clean the pulley galley's as they do accumulate crap from time to time - but that is not a hard thing to do when you take the wheel off!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts