Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lived through the odd noises coming from my misaligned / mistightened belt, and finally got that worked out and adjusted perfectly (I double-checked it).

My regular routine after my daily commute home is to ride straight in, and do 2-3 Y turns to turn the bike around so it'll be pointed the right way when I leave in the mornings (narrow carport).

Recently, I've noticed that during the Y turn-around, there are definite squeaks occurring, both forward and backward. My wife even enjoys mocking the sounds. These are definitely NOT the same sounds I had with the belt issues.

90% of the miles on the bike are from very smooth, non-curved roads. The other 10% are from an annual trip to the Smokies.

With almost 44,000 miles on it, I have not had anything greased, like wheel bearings, swingarm, etc.

Any suggestions on the best way to diagnose? It doesn't make the noises until it's been ridden awhile.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I've lived through the odd noises coming from my misaligned / mistightened belt, and finally got that worked out and adjusted perfectly (I double-checked it).

My regular routine after my daily commute home is to ride straight in, and do 2-3 Y turns to turn the bike around so it'll be pointed the right way when I leave in the mornings (narrow carport).

Recently, I've noticed that during the Y turn-around, there are definite squeaks occurring, both forward and backward. My wife even enjoys mocking the sounds. These are definitely NOT the same sounds I had with the belt issues.

90% of the miles on the bike are from very smooth, non-curved roads. The other 10% are from an annual trip to the Smokies.

With almost 44,000 miles on it, I have not had anything greased, like wheel bearings, swingarm, etc.

Any suggestions on the best way to diagnose? It doesn't make the noises until it's been ridden awhile.

Thanks!
Some have found that their rear shock link rod ends get squeaky. Some have found it is the rear shock itself. Some have found it is the rear shock pin working in the frame. At 44,000 your overdue to lube or have lubed the rear shock rocker. You might find something while doing that.
Does it squeak when you take your weight on an off the seat? It's one possibility.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Maintenance from the manual...

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some have found that their rear shock link rod ends get squeaky. Some have found it is the rear shock itself. Some have found it is the rear shock pin working in the frame. At 44,000 your overdue to lube or have lubed the rear shock rocker. You might find something while doing that.
Does it squeak when you take your weight on an off the seat? It's one possibility.
Thanks Joe. I actually had the shock replaced a couple of years ago due to it starting to leak (thank goodness under warranty). It doesn't make any noise getting on and off, or bouncing on the seat, but probably worth getting the rocker lubed.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maintenance from the manual...
Appreciate the docs. Have that manual and looked at it. Pretty much do /have done everything except the sidestand and axle. Adding those to my list.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
My Vegas makes a few small noises push turning it around in the shed.
I don't worry about it, I just fire it up and ride it.
Not advocating you dismiss it like that but I don't get too concerned over little squeaks.
Get the bike up off the wheels and spin em, check it out a little if you're concerned. Rock the wheels off there axis xheck for play and such.
My bike makes a cracking noise the instant I touch it in the morning only a tiny sound.
I think it's excited and knows it's going for another ride!:smile

1 - 6 of 6 Posts