Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the starter on my 2009 Vision with 90K miles and it turns over fine and starts right up but I am hearing a squealing or dragging sound for a second or two. My first thought is the starter motor is staying engaged for a moment. I can try and record it if needed. I am hoping like many issues with this bike, someone has already experienced the problem and figured out what it is. I will post this in a couple of places and post the solution once I figure it out for those interested.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,822 Posts
Relay might be sticking and as you say running the starter motor longer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help so far guys. I am still at a loss for how this noise is happening when you both start the bike and when you shut it off. How in the world could the starter motor bearings be making noise when the bike is shutting off. I am also at a loss for how it could be the Sprage Bearing but I will look for the video on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine squealed on my Xroads when I first got it last August. Took it apart cleaned and greased bearings no problems since.
It was a 5 hour job and I had help. 1 hour job on a steel frame.
Did the noise that you were hearing also occur when you shut the bike off

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Rim Gas Motor vehicle Circle
I got it apart yesterday and not sure if it looks dry enough to be making such a noise but here is what i am looking at. I will get it back together today and see. My question now is where to get brushes when the time comes. Polaris does not appear to sell them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Better to replace the starter, mine didn't look nearly that bad when I took it apart. The bushing in the end cap on the brush end looks like it's shot. 2 of the 4 of the brushes aren't looking good either. All that dust is likely from the brushes. Can't really tell about the bearing but it's bound to have been affected by all the crud you found inside.
Finding brushes and bearings will take some time. Probably a few trips to auto parts stores to try and find brushes then off to bearing house for bearing.
The commutator (where the brushes ride) is going to need attention as well.
There's a procedure to rehabilitate the commutator involving back cutting the grooves then polishing it.
Any way it's cheaper, quicker and much easier to replace it.
The starter is the same one Victory has used on all models for many years. I think since 2000.
Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it greased and back together today and fired it up tonight. The noise is gone thank god. Getting the brushes back in was a pain. What do you think a used starter costs? I am still wondering what goes on with that starter. Is it possible that the starter might get turned a bit by the motor when you shut the engine off because I definitely heard it also when the bike was turned off. Strange as that sounds that is the only explanation I can come up with.

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got it greased and back together today and fired it up tonight. The noise is gone thank god. Getting the brushes back in was a pain. What do you think a used starter costs? I am still wondering what goes on with that starter. Is it possible that the starter might get turned a bit by the motor when you shut the engine off because I definitely heard it also when the bike was turned off. Strange as that sounds that is the only explanation I can come up with.
Used starters can be had on ebay from $20 to $100. Victory used pretty much the same starter from '99 to '17, any of them will work on any year.
Starter is engaged but not activated continually. Mine would do the same thing when I shut it down although it would only do it for a fraction of a second. I'm sure it has something to do with the starter being engaged all the time. You can press the starter button with the bike running and not hurt anything.Big advantage over a bendix style starter drive like on a Harley.
The starter depends on the sprag/clutch to spin the engine to start it. Once the engine is spinning faster than the starter it disengages.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My not be the starter, or starter related... could be the fuel pump. Noticed mine making a high-pitched whine when startin' then, ridin' (as time went on). Then, the Vision wouldn't start (occasionally). Replaced the fuel pump a coupla weeks ago all symptoms are now gone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Used starters can be had on ebay from $20 to $100. Victory used pretty much the same starter from '99 to '17, any of them will work on any year.
Starter is engaged but not activated continually. Mine would do the same thing when I shut it down although it would only do it for a fraction of a second. I'm sure it has something to do with the starter being engaged all the time. You can press the starter button with the bike running and not hurt anything.Big advantage over a bendix style starter drive like on a Harley.
The starter depends on the sprag/clutch to spin the engine to start it. Once the engine is spinning faster than the starter it disengages.
This makes sense since it appears to stay in the same position. So in a way it is always engaged just not moving but when the motor is stopping the engine speed is low enough that it drags the starter a bit and you hear the same noise you hear on start up. I get it now. I am just glad lubricating it solved the problem but boy was it a lot of work.

Now on to the next project, saddle bag closure.

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My not be the starter, or starter related... could be the fuel pump. Noticed mine making a high-pitched whine when startin' then, ridin' (as time went on). Then, the Vision wouldn't start (occasionally). Replaced the fuel pump a coupla weeks ago all symptoms are now gone.
I have come to the conclusion that having a spare fuel pump laying around is a good idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts