Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 XCT w/ 4600 miles recently developed a squeal/chirping noise usually beginning around 45-50 MPH. I haven't been able to isolate the noise and before I go messing around with belt alignment, I wanted to see if this is consistent with what others who had to adjust their belt have experienced. I wear a 3/4 helmet and don't notice the noise much about 65 MPH. For those that have had to adjust their belt due to noise, were your experiences similar?

·
13,183 Posts
could be belt guard and for sure do the belt alingment

·
Registered
579 Posts
I periodically use paraffin wax on the edges of the drive belt. Don't have to do it very often and it keeps the squeaks away.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The only thing consistent about belt squeal is inconsistency. Not being sarcastic. Belts squeal at differing rpms, temps, humidity, tensions, alignment tolerances, age, pulley metallurgy, the list is endless. Wipe some beeswax whatever on the belt teeth and ride it. If it stops, then you have a chirping belt issue and that opens the floodgates for fifty eleven and more suggestions for how to cure it or how to make it quiet enough that you can pretend it isn't' t there.
I have fought that dragon on other crusades and I say good luck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pop, it's more of a case of curiosity and not "the sky is falling". I won't chase the noise unless I see unusual wear on the edge of the belt (assuming this is the source). An occasional application of some sort of lube isn't going to bother me.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts

·
13,183 Posts
If you don't have proper belt alingment your brake pads will wear un-even

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure nice to get all this insightful knowledge. Seriously though, it almost sounds like the chirp is the bike saying "wanna race". Perhaps I haven't noticed if there's a subsequent pattern to this in that I only hear the noise if there's another bike in the general vicinity. I'm going to have to make some mental notes to all the environmental parameters each time I hear the noise/voice going forward.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I was gettin a little chirpy noise on occasion. I toed the rear tire to the right just a hair (still looks perfectly straight in the swingarm, but then, I need a level to hang pictures) because the belt was riding way to the outside of the pulley. Seems to have stopped.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The only thing consistent about belt squeal is inconsistency. Not being sarcastic. Belts squeal at differing rpms, temps, humidity, tensions, alignment tolerances, age, pulley metallurgy, the list is endless. Wipe some beeswax whatever on the belt teeth and ride it. If it stops, then you have a chirping belt issue and that opens the floodgates for fifty eleven and more suggestions for how to cure it or how to make it quiet enough that you can pretend it isn't' t there.
I have fought that dragon on other crusades and I say good luck.
Pop, I use baby powder and it makes my bike smell so nice.:ltr: Not messy and washes off with just a hose.

·
13,183 Posts
go down a straight road and about sixty take hands off the bars.
if bike goes sharp left not alinged if bike goes fast right not alinged.
The bike should go straight and slowly drift to the right

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Yeah, it sure sounds like a belt issue. Make sure there is not too much belt deflection. Mine is set slightly looser than recommended. If you do decide to adjust the belt (you will need to jack it up), after adjusting spin the wheel forward and backward to check alignment. The belt should stay in the same location on the rear pulley when turning forward or backward. If you get some side to side movement, it's not aligned properly. When you get it right, make sure you use one hand to push the wheel forward and keep it stationary while tightening the axel nut...at least until you get it tight enough to stay in place. If you don't, you may get a little movement which may allow it to misalign a bit. Check your alignment again after tightening the axel nut. Again, the belt should track in the same place on the pulley when spinning forward or backward. I have had this happen on other bikes, and usually, the belt was a little too loose. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I was gettin a little chirpy noise on occasion. I toed the rear tire to the right just a hair (still looks perfectly straight in the swingarm, but then, I need a level to hang pictures) because the belt was riding way to the outside of the pulley. Seems to have stopped.
For alignment a 1/4 or 1/2 turn either way on the riders right adjustment is enough to make it go away or get louder. I have this down to a science almost on my TC as I adjust it just like the new bikes and have no more squeek, chirp or burps. An occasional backfire pop because I have not replaced them blasted exhaust gaskets yet with the ones from lloydz.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chirping

I had the same issue with the chirping. I found that I had to tighten the belt and re-align the rear wheel. Once that was completed the chirp went away. I was using soap on the belt but it turned out to be a temporary fix so that is when I decided to make the wheel and belt adjustment. Hope you figure out your issue because I know that chirping drove me out of my mind.....cheers

Good luck to youllll

1 - 14 of 14 Posts