Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I moved the trunk back and removed the air filter to clean it today. I made some modifications to the filter retainer to flow more air and it was positively filthy on the top and just standard fithy toward the bottom. Much different then after it first cleaning having been run mostly in its stock configuration, it was relatively clean and at the time I noted I probably could have gone 20k between changes. Not anymore.

So anyway, after I clean it up and oil it, I notice several tiny places where the gauze filter element appear to have disolved leaving tiny holes. This does not make homey happy. A K&N it's not.

So I'm wondering if I can order a Stage 1 filter without ordering the whole damn Stage 1 kit. If I can't or it's prohibitively expensive, off to Lloyd's I go.

·
Registered
454 Posts
So I moved the trunk back and removed the air filter to clean it today. I made some modifications to the filter retainer to flow more air and it was positively filthy on the top and just standard fithy toward the bottom. Much different then after it first cleaning having been run mostly in its stock configuration, it was relatively clean and at the time I noted I probably could have gone 20k between changes. Not anymore.

So anyway, after I clean it up and oil it, I notice several tiny places where the gauze filter element appear to have disolved leaving tiny holes. This does not make homey happy. A K&N it's not.

So I'm wondering if I can order a Stage 1 filter without ordering the whole damn Stage 1 kit. If I can't or it's prohibitively expensive, off to Lloyd's I go.
I dunno about the filter you have, but if you have the time you can cruise the K&N website and more than likely find one that they make that will match what you have.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
You can just order the S1 filter, I think it is 60 bucks or so.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I'm confused. What filter do you have right now?
Keep in mind that the Stage 1 filter often comes rusty out of the box.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I dunno about the filter you have, but if you have the time you can cruise the K&N website and more than likely find one that they make that will match what you have.
I believe he has a cross bike and as far as i know k&n doesnt make one for it. I do also believe you can just order the filter, but in my opinion the lloydz is the way to go.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe he has a cross bike and as far as i know k&n doesnt make one for it.
Yes.

I've had many K&Ns and never seen one do this. I don't have a problem with the metal mesh rusting though, just a cheap gauze element that seems to be self destructing.

I do also believe you can just order the filter, but in my opinion the lloydz is the way to go.
I think I've accomplished the same thing by elimating the retainer material and the bike runs great. But if the damn filter element is going to be falling apart every 20k miles, I'll look elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Sorry your probably better then factory but if you hold the lloydz next to the other you will see the difference, and the lloydz eliminates the plastic retainer all together. If you could see 2 bikes side by side, one with each filter you could see the difference, its hard to picture, especially with my explanation! haha However right out of the 2012 vic parts book here is the part number for the hi performance filter which i believe is what you have #2878041. what are you going to do with your old one if you replace?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry your probably better then factory but if you hold the lloydz next to the other you will see the difference, and the lloydz eliminates the plastic retainer all together. If you could see 2 bikes side by side, one with each filter you could see the difference, its hard to picture, especially with my explanation! haha However right out of the 2012 vic parts book here is the part number for the hi performance filter which i believe is what you have #2878041. what are you going to do with your old one if you replace?

I'll keep my retainer, but trash the filter. Thanks for the replacement p/n.

The Lloyd's also has a cone sectioned shape that blocks air from entering the intake directly. I instead must go around from the sides. If you could have seen the way mine got dirty, you'd see that the vast majority of air was taking a direct path to the intake via the top of the filter. My plastic retainer is filed very low. By far, the biggest obstruction between the fuel tank and the filter is the bolt head that tacks down the filter retainer.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I may be interested in the filter if you are trashing it. No problem on the number, i think it was $59.99 also. His filter has a much greater surface area for intake, its not so much about the directness of the flow but the volume, there is plenty of available air for it to suck in so it coming straight in the front is not so important.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Confused ?

With the gains offered using the Lloyds filter even on a stock bike, why would you go back to a stage 1 ? Especially now that it is deteriorating. I say go Lloyds.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the gains offered using the Lloyds filter even on a stock bike, why would you go back to a stage 1 ? Especially now that it is deteriorating. I say go Lloyds.
Yeah, I'm not crazy about using another cheapie, but I figured I'd let it go until next its due again. If I have to spend $60 on a filter every 20k or 30k miles I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The reason I would hesitate to change is that I know it works great with my setup. I do not have a fuel tuner and don't particularly want to have to buy one should the Lloyd's change things dramatically. I doubt it would, but the S1 is a known quantity?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may be interested in the filter if you are trashing it.
I already buttoned the bike back up. If I get a hair up my butt to spend some money on the bike and I take it back apart, I'll be happy to ship it to you for the cost of its transportation.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts