Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the VMC site a few days ago, but no reponses -- so figured I would check here as well. If you frequent both sites, sorry for the "duplicate" post.

I bought the swept pipes off the internet a couple months ago, for about 1/2 retail price. I've installed pipes before, so can certainly get them on. I know that a dealer has to remap the bike -- but the closest dealer is 2 hours away.

Can I safely install the pipes without remapping (and accept some backfiring) until I ride the bike to the dealer sometime this summer for the mapping -- or does that risk damaging the bike? If I have to, I can get the bike and the pipes to the dealer and have them install everything -- but that's spending money for something I could mostly do myself (and also means the exhaust will sit in the box quite awhile longer.) It's an '09 Jackpot.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
You can buy a fuel tuner instead. If you are planning on cams or any internal mods buy the fuel tuner now because if you do those mods you muct have the STOCK map.

If you are just doing pipes and intake then get the map. Kevin will probably chime in and give you the 411 on riding without the map.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Due to this being a TECHNICAL question I am moving this to the tech forum. For future reference anything technical should go in that forum. A lot of the techs don't bother to look in the other forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I don't plan on any cam or internal mods, so it sounds like I should wait to install the pipes until I can get the mapping done. Not what I was hoping for, but thanks for the replies. I certainly don't want to hurt the engine just to save a few bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts