Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that can be done to Stage 1 exhaust to make them louder other than sending them off to be recored. Something that the average "joe" can do in his garage maybe?

·
Registered
383 Posts
There's really not much more you can do to a stage 1 pipe. Your best bet is to get a new exhaust. There are a few out there so research what your going to get. I know KevinX had dyno numbers posted somewhere here regarding most of the pipes and their effect on the engine. I did a Thrush 2.25" glass pack on my XR but it can be rather involved if you don't have the tools available. Personally, IMHO, I'd look at the Atom Bomb (recored muffler) or D&D mufflers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil. This may sound stupid but what the hell I'll give it a shot anyway. Would anything at all change in the sound if you drilled holes through the bottom of the exhaust pipe. Not the heat shield....even I'm not that dumb...LOL but the ac tual exhaust ppe itself. Just wondering.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ouch. Don't do that. You'll have a loud sputting machine. Will not sound very goood at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A buddy of mine works for RUSH Racing Products, they make exhaust for Harleys and metrics, but are starting to R&D a line of exhaust for Vics. He said they are starting with slip-ons and head pipes(true duals) for the X-Roads, X-Country, and Vision. Then they are suppose to start on the Vegas(my bike), Jackpot, Hammer, and the new Highball. they'll be doing full systems and slip-ons for all the Vics. He said one of the biggest selling features of their exhaust is interchangeable baffles, so it is just a matter of switching baffles and you can increase or decrease the tone and volume. Here's their website: www.rushracingproducts.com.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...was just wondering. I should have known if it weren't already on here the it's definitely not a good idea right.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A buddy of mine works for RUSH Racing Products, they make exhaust for Harleys and metrics, but are starting to R&D a line of exhaust for Vics. He said they are starting with slip-ons and head pipes(true duals) for the X-Roads, X-Country, and Vision. Then they are suppose to start on the Vegas(my bike), Jackpot, Hammer, and the new Highball. they'll be doing full systems and slip-ons for all the Vics. He said one of the biggest selling features of their exhaust is interchangeable baffles, so it is just a matter of switching baffles and you can increase or decrease the tone and volume. Here's their website: www.rushracingproducts.com.
Wow thats good news. They make a good product. I've got a set of D&Ds coming in a week or so but they told me it would be this fall before they got started on a full system. The cool thing about the full system besides power and weight is you get rid of them heat generating cats. Makes a big difference when it's 90 and your in traffic.

·
Registered
356 Posts
rsmarsh,

My XR is new too and has the stage 1 kit. Give it a thousand miles or so - it will open up a bit. I found this out with the Cobras I put on my Warrior. Sounded too quiet when I got them, but after a while all the oils burned off and they broke in and sounded great.

I too think stage 1 is a tad too quiet. But I am going to give it some time to see how it sounds after break-in before going to something else.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There's really not much more you can do to a stage 1 pipe. Your best bet is to get a new exhaust. There are a few out there so research what your going to get. I know KevinX had dyno numbers posted somewhere here regarding most of the pipes and their effect on the engine. I did a Thrush 2.25" glass pack on my XR but it can be rather involved if you don't have the tools available. Personally, IMHO, I'd look at the Atom Bomb (recored muffler) or D&D mufflers.
Do you have a link to that thread? I didn't find it in a search.

·
Registered
383 Posts
As far as the Dyno numbers go, they may be sitting on thevmc or here. If I can find the post I'll post it up here.

One thing you don't want to do to your X bike is to remove the honeycomb looking insert where the exhaust header pipe attaches to the muffler. It is not a catalytic converter. Several folks I talked to recommend you leave it in because it balances both exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow thats good news. They make a good product. I've got a set of D&Ds coming in a week or so but they told me it would be this fall before they got started on a full system. The cool thing about the full system besides power and weight is you get rid of them heat generating cats. Makes a big difference when it's 90 and your in traffic.
He also said all of RUSH's full system head pipe systems are ceramic coated inside and outside of the head pipe. Said it drops 300+ degrees off the running temp of the pipes compared to stock. I rode a Softail Standard(thought about buying that instead of my Vegas) with this coating on the pipes and it was waaaaaaay cooler than the Ness radius pipes that came on my bike. I'll try to keep you all posted with any more info i can get out of him.

·
Registered
183 Posts
He also said all of RUSH's full system head pipe systems are ceramic coated inside and outside of the head pipe. Said it drops 300+ degrees off the running temp of the pipes compared to stock. I rode a Softail Standard(thought about buying that instead of my Vegas) with this coating on the pipes and it was waaaaaaay cooler than the Ness radius pipes that came on my bike. I'll try to keep you all posted with any more info i can get out of him.
More good news. That will be a great system, somebody at Rush knows a thing or two. Do keep us posted.cheers

·
Registered
372 Posts
There is a diverter plate in the cross-over section of the head pipe that diverts a lot of the exhaust to the left muffler. If you cut/drill or bend this plate out of the way so a lot more flow and sound come from the right side pipe you will probably have all the sound you want. You have to access it from the front though because of the cat plugs which require it be removed from the bike but can easily be done in an hour or so.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I actually called the guys at Rush on Friday. He's expecting slip-ons by Winter...not sure on true duals yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts