Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What does a Vic stage 1 ECU update actually do and how much does it cost without buying a stage 1 setup. In other words, if a person rides in with the stage 1 mufflers and AF installed and the reflash card in hand, what's the charge to do the update?
thx

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Why would you want a stage 1 download?
What exactly is it? Not much. A little more fuel (couple percent).
What would it cost? If you have a great relationship with your dealer, maybe nothing. Set the tps and install the download takes 5 minutes... maybe they will charge you $50.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
13,231 Posts
stage 1 flash will add 2% more fuel and will add 2% more timing.
I have read where guys have paid $150 buck for it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
stage 1 flash will add 2% more fuel and will add 2% more timing.
I have read where guys have paid $150 buck for it.
I understand the 2% more fuel. What does 2% timing convert to in degrees?? +2° or is it some lesser amount?

Wondering if that could have some influence on my timing wheel setting not liking +4° very much?

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
I saw that about Shark Cycle a couple weeks ago. I think I'll be heading to Motorsport Nation, where you going?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
back on topic..
The stage 1 ECU flash is something that has to be done by the dealer? Is it possible to DIY?

·
Registered
346 Posts
back on topic..
The stage 1 ECU flash is something that has to be done by the dealer? Is it possible to DIY?
Not unless you have the software and system that can pair to the bikes factory ECU

·
Premium Member
13,697 Posts
I understand the 2% more fuel. What does 2% timing convert to in degrees?? +2° or is it some lesser amount?
Wondering if that could have some influence on my timing wheel setting not liking +4° very much? Yes it could. If the stock tune or Stage 1 upload tune is advanced already then any advance you physically make with the ATS timing wheel will compound that advance. Most people who run a PC-V tuner will set the electronic timing, which doesn't kick in until 2500 rpm, to zero so the +4 (for most but not all) will be about right.

Quote:
The proprietary software is called the "Digital Wrench". If anyone other than an authorized dealer has a copy of it; they are keeping it a secret. I'm sure Polaris/Victory charges the dealerships for this special software. I'm not 100% on how it all works but my guess, due to Victory maintaining control, is it isn't like the dealership has a copy of the Stage 1 download/upload. An authorization number is punched into the computer allowing one download to be installed onto a bike. The dealer is charged X amount and the dealer is recommended to charge XX amount to the customer but there is probably some wiggle room unless the dealer wants to eat that cost somehow through accounting magic.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
back on topic..
You need someone with the Polaris "Digital Wrench" tool and software. Have fun with that.

In regards to Shark, did you find out more info? The news articles haven't been updated from what I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Closed! As of last Tuesday.
Their website is still up, no mention of them closing. :(
They did delete their company Facebook account, though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wondering if that could have some influence on my timing wheel setting not liking +4° very much? Yes it could. If the stock tune or Stage 1 upload tune is advanced already then any advance you physically make with the ATS timing wheel will compound that advance. Most people who run a PC-V tuner will set the electronic timing, which doesn't kick in until 2500 rpm, to zero so the +4 (for most but not all) will be about right.

Thanks Bob. I figured it probably would, but I guess I'm still somewhat puzzled as to the exact amount. Another guy and I were discussing it this morning and he asked if it was a percent increase across the entire RPM range (i.e. 2% advance to the timing as it increases as the RPM climbs), or if is just a fixed degree increase that remains the same level of increase across the RPM range (i.e. the timing wheel setting)? I guess it really doesn't matter as long as you don't get pinging and it doesn't create starting issues as mine seemed to do when I had it set at +4°. Backing off to just +2° seemed to eliminate the cantankerous starting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Their website is still up, no mention of them closing. :(
They did delete their company Facebook account, though.
Careful on topic change broggy , you may get scolded by the OP .

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Careful on topic change broggy , you may get scolded by the OP .
We don't want that now, do we? To bring it back on topic:
STAGE 1 LOL OMG WTF LMNOP !!!!1!!1one (as I sit here with my home made mufflers, wondering how much worse they are than Stage 1)

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
STAGE 1 LOL OMG WTF LMNOP !!!!1!!1one (as I sit here with my home made mufflers, wondering how much worse they are than Stage 1)
Have I been a bad influence on you...?

·
Super Moderator
5,060 Posts
So you've been fighting with it for months finally have it where you can ride it and now you want to mod it in a way you can't just eliminate if it goes hot again am I following this correctly? Didn't you just un-mod it?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts