Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new too owning a bike that needs flashed. I bought my 2012 highball from a friend who told me it had a stage two kit on it from the dealer at purchase. I thought this was pipes/intake and flash?

Does it generally mean something else?

Reason I'm asking is I can't see any difference between my air intake and a stock one. It uses the stock air filter. I've seen pics with a cone type filter and pics where the area is totally open.... What should I be looking for here too know if my intake is stock or upgraded.

Iceball, cruising the Alaskan Frontier mile by mile.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
If the plastic box is still in the frame it likely just a k&n filter... Not a real performance enhancer. You need a PCV and Lloydz or S&S intake.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
If your wanting to order performance goodies way up north I would get them all from Lloydz... You will want PCV, Lloydz intake, Lloydz ATS, quarter turn throttle ring. Lloyd will preload your PCV with a map for the goodies you will receive so no dyno tune needed right away. If you want you can add the Autotune to the PCV and play with the AFR yourself.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that's what I was thinking, figured it had too be stock. Was actually just a paper filter in there, my k&n just came in the mail. I don't think I'll be doing any major changes right away as it has plenty of power too keep me happy for a while as is. Was more just curious too what I had.

I see people posting that they did a stage upgrade weather 1 or 2 was curious as to what that typically entailed as this guy told me it had a stage two flash, if all he changed was the pipes seems kinda odd too me. Just some Vance&hines str8 cannons.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Stage 2? Lol. Sounds like your buddy was hyping the bike up a bit for the sale.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I've been in the Victory world since early 2013 and I am unaware of a Victory-branded Stage 2. Do they offer one?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
They do at the dealer, but no where else.

I have been to many Vic dealerships in my 3 years of ownership and have never heard a dealer speak of stages. There are no stages with a Vic as Vic doesn't offer anything in the way of HP gains. The Vic pipes, and flash don't offer anything in the way of performance and we have dyno results on this forum somewhere to prove it. In fact I can recall someone that HC knows even went backwards after the Vic performance upgrades. If you want HP Lloydz is the ticket. I know he doesn't offer any "Stages".

·
Registered
537 Posts
Stages

Victory has a Stage I upgrade. It consists of a Victory Stage I flash of the ECU, high flow (K&N) air filter (on older models, a more open airbox cover), and free flowing exhaust. More air in. More air out. Reflash to add fuel.

Most refer to aftermarket performance airboxes, exhaust and fuel controller as a Stage I. It does the same as Victory's Stage I, only usually better. Victory, after all, does have to keep even a Stage I download a little to the lean side for EPA compliance.

Back when Victory had the V92 bikes (92 cubic inches), they offed a Stage II upgrade. It was larger jugs and pistons to take it to 100 cubic inches, and a different ECU download. That went away when Victory came out with a 100CI motor stock.

In 2011, Victory came out with Stage II cams in the steel frame bikes. This was a bit of a misnomer, as they weren't really "HOT" cams. They were more performance oriented from the Victory Stage I cams, which comes in the touring bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Victory has a Stage I upgrade. It consists of a Victory Stage I flash of the ECU, high flow (K&N) air filter (on older models, a more open airbox cover), and free flowing exhaust. More air in. More air out. Reflash to add fuel.

Most refer to aftermarket performance airboxes, exhaust and fuel controller as a Stage I. It does the same as Victory's Stage I, only usually better. Victory, after all, does have to keep even a Stage I download a little to the lean side for EPA compliance.

Back when Victory had the V92 bikes (92 cubic inches), they offed a Stage II upgrade. It was larger jugs and pistons to take it to 100 cubic inches, and a different ECU download. That went away when Victory came out with a 100CI motor stock.

In 2011, Victory came out with Stage II cams in the steel frame bikes. This was a bit of a misnomer, as they weren't really "HOT" cams. They were more performance oriented from the Victory Stage I cams, which comes in the touring bikes.

So essentially if am hearing your statement correctly... Victory stage upgrades are a thing of the past? I see no option on there website for a stage 1 upgrade. I really hate using the HD terminology of "stages". There are no clear lines even with the screamin eagle upgrades as to exactly what the stages are past stage 1. In the 3 years I have owned Vic's I have not heard dealers refer to stages. Most dealers don't do anything other than a flash, pipes and shitty K&N filter.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really appreciate all the reply's, the fog is starting too clear lol.

There is more than 1 flash correct? Depending on how drastic you upgraded your bike you would want diff settings too compensate for your air/fuel intake / exhaust.

Or is it just 'A' flash, if you get pipes get the flash and no where too go up from there?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also I think it's funny that this is the first auto forum of any type I've been on that I repeatedly see k&n dogged on lol. Cars/trucks/boats/4 wheelers, bikes.... Everyone loves them lol except victory owners it seems.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Also I think it's funny that this is the first auto forum of any type I've been on that I repeatedly see k&n dogged on lol. Cars/trucks/boats/4 wheelers, bikes.... Everyone loves them lol except victory owners it seems. Iceball, cruising the Alaskan Frontier mile by mile.
On the Victory all you get with a K&N filter is a washable element. If you wanna make some power, you need a bigger filter or a better airbox entirely.

No one is dogging K&N, it's just that putting a stock replacement K&N in the bike is of no benefit except you can clean it and reuse it.

You need one of these:
http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000006

or one of these:
http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000134

Oh, and **** a flash. Get a real fuel controller.
http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000059

One of these is a beautiful thing too:
http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000125

For a while, Victory advertised that the cams were different in the steel frame bikes (cruisers) from those in the cast aluminum frame bikes (baggers). They called the cruiser cams the "Stage 2 cams" which prompted people to misunderstand and say their bikes came with a "Stage 2", a misnomer. There is no stage 2. People just have a need for their bike to be special or custom in some way.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Stage 1 - is Get on the Vic
Stage 2 - is twisting the throttle till ya grin
Stage 3 - is adding all the goodies to make stage 2 into a mind blowing experience!

·
Registered
537 Posts
For a while, Victory advertised that the cams were different in the steel frame bikes (cruisers) from those in the cast aluminum frame bikes (baggers). They called the cruiser cams the "Stage 2 cams" which prompted people to misunderstand and say their bikes came with a "Stage 2", a misnomer. There is no stage 2. People just have a need for their bike to be special or custom in some way.

Yes! Ma Vic screwed the pooch with the name. All it did was confuse people.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts