Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoped on the XC this morning and it was alittle hard to start like the battery was going out. Tried it again and it fired right up yet it seemed to surge and hunt at idle. Let it sit there for about 5-6 min. Than took off everything seemed fine volt meter showing little over 14 volts, i think this is a little high but never really looked or thought much about it to now. Covered about 5 miles on the my way into work and came to my first stop and it died it started back up but would surge and die. It did this the rest of the way in if i did not keep it up to around 1200 rpms. Hoping to pull the battery out during lunch to check/ replace it. Does anyone else have a thought? Battery still starts it ok just not as good as it did last year. Bike is stock ans has 4000 miles on and is about 10 months old. Could the ecm just be tring to "relearn" the idle or something. Thanks for the input ahead of time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Clean the battery connections. Make sure they're good and tight when you put it back together. They seem to come loose and cause strange issues.

·
13,026 Posts
You don't say what year your bike is I'm guessing a couple years old.
Keep in mind your 14V only shows you that its charging it doesn't really tell you about the battery.
If you keep the battery charged over the winter I don't think thats your problem. If your battery was at fault it wouldn't start up as fast as you say. Just check the cables to see if there tight.

I think its you IAV idle air valve is not working right. When you come from 60mph down to a stop sing the IAV is supposed to keep your bike idling. So you might have a air leak or a bad valve.
I'm just telling you what I'm thinking

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the year. It is a 2010 that I bought in early 2011. It will be a year old in May with a little over 4000 miles. The battery was on a tender during storage this winter, but it did get knocked off at some point so i dont know how long it was off. It di start when getting it out of storage just not good. When I started it this morning I hit the button it turn about around and stopped. let off the button and it again and it started yet it pulled all the voltage from the system, dash went out lights went out than it started. I am open to all and any info. Thanks !

·
Registered
573 Posts
You might want to completely charge up the battery.

I use tenders on most of my bikes, and have noticed that some times the battery tenders will not actually recharge a low battery, rather, will only keep up a full charge. Therefore, if it is discharged, you may want to use a regular charger (if you are currently relying on a tender).

·
13,026 Posts
Put a full charge in the battery like over night. Then take it to a battery store or auto parts store what ever is close for you and have them do a load test on the battery. It should still be good but you never know.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ran some better on way home. Pulled battery out found ground cable a little loose. When ahead and put it on a 1.5amp per hour charge for over night while it is out.I have a load tester. Dose anyone know the CCA of the battery?

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Catroadman,
Are you still on the same gas that wintered over? If so, did you put a fuel stabilizer in it prior to hibernation? If you answered yes and no, remove that gas and replace with a fresh tank. +1 on loose battery terminals - happens often. Tighten 'em and see what happens. I like to start with the cheap and easy things first. Good luck.
Ric

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys thought I would let you know what I have done and found so far. I am on my
4th of 5th tank of fuel for getting it back out this year, but could have got a bad tank on last fill up cause it did start this after the last fill up in a small town. I left the battery on charge for 24 plus hours, thanks to work. Load tested an it past so I put it back in claeaned everything really good and than tighten the stew out of it. Fired it up and it stumbled for just a second as if it was learning where to idle, than smooth right out. Started it a couple more times no stumble. tried it again this morning and all was good. So we will see.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
If at all possible, NEVER fill up at a station that is getting a fuel delivery. If there's a choice, get gas at a high volume station. That way, you're guaranteed fresh gas. Cross bikes have at least 40 miles of fuel left after the light goes on. Pass up that small town for a larger one, if you can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts