Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
13,177 Posts
so you want to stand on your bike going down the road.
ask Indian Larry how it works

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just checked the motorcycle crash rule book, apparently it is possible to crack your bare head open even in a low speed crash. I think it has less to do with speed than it does with smashing your head on something very hard like the ground. I could be wrong. When I was a kid I once had a teacher yell at me for balancing a chair on two legs, I told him I can't bust my head open because I'm not even moving. He seemed to disagree. ; ^ )

Tech23

·
Registered
482 Posts
My two cents. I say do whatever makes you smile. I am a risk taker and someday one of the risks I take is going to take my life. I'm fine with that, I would much rather leave this shitty world doing something that I enjoy than of old age or at the hands of some street punk. Indian Larry lived and died doing what he loved.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
282 Posts
We all ride motorbikes, we all take risks.
There are risks, and then there are just dumb and dumber risks.
I think we all know what category of risk the late Indian Larry was taking.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
We all ride motorbikes, we all take risks.
There are risks, and then there are just dumb and dumber risks.
I think we all know what category of risk the late Indian Larry was taking.
EXACTLY!...We all take a risk getting out of bed in the morning...
but it's safer than staying there 'cos most people die in a bed!;)

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Gary Busey hit his head in a low speed crash and survived. Need i say more.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I think his actions speak for themselves. After his little tumble it's been a slow speed ride on the crazy train.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Funny.
We spend big bucks to own and use what is among the most dangerous forms of transportation ever devised. Many of us squeeze the maximum amount of horsepower we can out of it and many of us travel the continent if not the world looking for roads to experience that test the limits of the machine and our skills. Newton didn't need an apple to illustrate that when the body in motion is of the flesh and blood variety, practically anything that it encounters is of sufficient mass to arrest it's movement in a messy way. Then again, I don't figure Newton envisioned a world where any shmuck could press a button and go faster horizontally than gravity could propel him vertically.
In our cases though, we may have resourced gear that somewhat decreases the likelihood of fatality while motorcycling and we may have participated in training opportunities that somewhat decrease the likelihood of fatality while motorcycling. For those reasons and whatever other reasons some of us may feel compelled to criticize the more unsafe behavior of others compared to the somewhat less unsafe behavior we opt into.
I remember one doctor at my bedside telling me that if I was going to be stupid enough to ride a motorcycle then if I wore a helmet at least the family could have an open casket service. He then harangued me for wasting a bed that a more deserving human could be using. I guess it's a matter of perspective.
Glass houses. Stones.
Funny.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Some people would disagree with your statement...LOL
He's breathing walking and functioning. At what level is debatable. Beats being paralyzed. Many others have not been so lucky. Just call me crazy.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Indian Larry would not have been allowed to enter a construction site here in Australia, would not be allowed to do a lot of things without a helmet. Including ride a motorcycle.

The organisers of that event he was at obviously thought it was fine for him to do tricks without a helmet. But, y'know, some regulations are actually worthwhile.

Whatever you think about Indian Larry, it was a dumb way to die. Completely avoidable if he just took the most basic precaution of wearing a helmet. But he died a cool dude feeling the air in his hair, before his brains met the pavement.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Whatever you think about Indian Larry, it was a dumb way to die. Completely avoidable if he just took the most basic precaution of wearing a helmet. But he died a cool dude feeling the air in his hair, before his brains met the pavement.
Actually any and all ways to die are "dumb"... but freedom is another matter all together. If I want to wear a helmet fine... if I don't want to wear a helmet, who are you to say that I must and that if I don't, I am stupid.

The fundamental problem is that everyone thinks they know what's best for everyone else... I have met and seen ride off many many "riders" who I would not have any inkling to ride anywhere near where they were riding... and they had helmets on.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Actually any and all ways to die are "dumb"... but freedom is another matter all together. If I want to wear a helmet fine... if I don't want to wear a helmet, who are you to say that I must and that if I don't, I am stupid.

The fundamental problem is that everyone thinks they know what's best for everyone else... I have met and seen ride off many many "riders" who I would not have any inkling to ride anywhere near where they were riding... and they had helmets on.
Pretty much says it right there.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Can't agree with your premise here Handy. Not all ways to die are dumb. Far from it. We are all going to die, and there are many good ways to die. You may have a military relative who died in battle. I have, and his death was not dumb. In fact I revere his death.

Indian Larry's death in contrast was just plain dumb, because it was so easily avoidable. But it was his choice, he was entitled to it. And he got it.

I am not suggesting everyone wears helmets. I am suggesting that for motorcycle stunt riding, it might be a very good idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts