Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I believe I have this figured out from searches but looking for confirmation...

First...lesson learned...I had no idea cold weather starting was even an issue!! Now I know...

Anyway 2011 Cross Country 30,000 ish miles.

I started the bike to be in a local parade. It was 15 degrees and the bike was cold. It started, but as I released the starter button and started to turn around I heard "clunk" and it stalled. I hit the starter button again and all I get is a "zing" sound from the starter. The engine does not crank.

From research I believe it's the starter drive or clutch... can someone please help with correct terminology and maybe a link to the correct part.

Thanks!!!

Now I'll go back to crying in my beer after hearing the latest news....

·
13,262 Posts
yup clutch is gone. Per manual you'll need a special tool to pull it.
The special tool is a bolt M20x1.50x25mm. I think thats a stander oil drain plug on cars

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The special tool is a bolt M20x1.50x25mm. I think thats a stander oil drain plug on cars
Thanks!!! is this the right part #4060156??

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
This is too late for the OP, but for you others, here's how to start your bike in the cold. Step 1: Assuming you've had the battery on a float charger, place a room heater (preferably one with a fan) near the engine an hour or more prior to starting. That warms the engine, the oil, the battery, the clutch and the tranny. Makes life easier on the battery and starter. There is no step two, except having an oil like 5W-40 Rotella T-6 makes for easier cold starts.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
This is too late for the OP, but for you others, here's how to start your bike in the cold. Step 1: Assuming you've had the battery on a float charger, place a room heater (preferably one with a fan) near the engine an hour or more prior to starting. That warms the engine, the oil, the battery, the clutch and the tranny. Makes life easier on the battery and starter. There is no step two, except having an oil like 5W-40 Rotella T-6 makes for easier cold starts.
or move to Australia....:grin

Reactions: RICZ

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I'm sorry to read this. I lost my starter clutch at 43,000 miles. Now I'm always worried about it happening again, especially while I'm away from home.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Isn't this why people say to keep the throttle cracked open as you start it, or am I thinking of something else?

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Isn't this why people say to keep the throttle cracked open as you start it, or am I thinking of something else?
Yes it is, to prevent kick back and/or backfiring. Yes, do hold the throttle open about 1/8 turn when starting.

·
13,262 Posts
I don't know so I'll ask. Is the starter clutch in the primary or outside behind a cover. Ok I looked and its just in front of the primary. So that shouldn't be to bad.

http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I don't know so I'll ask. Is the starter clutch in the primary or outside behind a cover. Ok I looked and its just in front of the primary. So that shouldn't be to bad.

http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp
Starter sprag gear is the one that usually goes out. It is inside the primary....hence the need for the special tool mentioned above to remove the flywheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, just joined to post. Currently replacing starter drive DO NOT! I REPEAT DO NOT USE NAPA AUTOMOTIVE M20X1.5 DRAIN PLUG OR ANY OTHER DRAIN PLUG. METAL IS CHEAP. GO ON EBAY AND SPEND $27 FOR A STEEL M20 X1.5 PULLER. bike is now sitting with a strpped out drain plug in it. Don't know if flywheel is bad yet. but ordered used one on Ebay. New one will cost $409 from victory parts pro's. Maybe it work for someone else but not me. Hoping bolt is just screwed and not threads in flywheel. Happy and safe riding to all.

·
13,262 Posts
I would think the hardware store would have steel bolts. Might not be the bolts fault

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would think the hardware store would have steel bolts. Might not be the bolts fault
Your right. But in this post it was recommended to use a oil drain plug. Never crossed my mind about cheap white metal used to make them. Didn't think it would take much to pop it off the shaft. No one held a gun to my head and said to use it. I tried it and it failed. So I'm trying to save someone else my headache now. Sorry if I upset you was not trying to make anyone look bad,( but the bolt). But it is the bolts fault. Cheap metal. And when it starts to turn you automatically think its moving the part and not stripping the threads till it's too late.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts