Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody experience starter grinding on cold start? After a couple attempts starter functions properly. Symptom of ultimate failure, or simply nature of the beast on nine year old bike? Kid has the bike - think it has about 40k on the clock. Experience with subject matter? Thanks.

· Administrator
3,141 Posts
The first step for any electrical problem on a bike including your problem is to remove the battery, fully charge it, take it to any chain auto parts store, and have them conduct a 100 amp load test on it. If the battery tests bad, replace it and your problem is likely solved. If the battery tests good, no money spent and the most likely culprit is eliminated from further consideration.

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first step for any electrical problem on a bike including your problem is to remove the battery, fully charge it, take it to any chain auto parts store, and have them conduct a 100 amp load test on it. If the battery tests bad, replace it and your problem is likely solved. If the battery tests good, no money spent and the most likely culprit is eliminated from further consideration.
OEM battery replaced a few weeks ago after signs of going south. Starter issue is new, today. Thanks for response.

· Registered
6,732 Posts
Does it turn over slowly while making the grinding sound?

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. Start button = grind -- once or twice... then spins and fires as normal.
Thanks for the feedback.

· Administrator
3,141 Posts
Yours would not be the first new battery to be bad. Get it tested no matter how new it is. The test is free, easy, and will allow you to move on to other possible causes with confidence.

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input.

· Registered
6,732 Posts
I agree, have the battery tested to rule it completely out. Then you know at least that much is good.
Check the terminals for having come loose while your digging it out.

· Registered
180 Posts
Anybody experience starter grinding on cold start? After a couple attempts starter functions properly. Symptom of ultimate failure, or simply nature of the beast on nine year old bike? Kid has the bike - think it has about 40k on the clock. Experience with subject matter? Thanks.

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, all. Will let ya know how things pan out.

· Premium Member
3,485 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
If you're going to work on your motorcycle or car, a load tester should be part of your tool box !! Cheap at Harbor Freight !!

· Registered
4 Posts
As a Victory tech, I have seen this happen before on cold starts. Essentially what happens is the oil is cold and puts resistance against the motor turning over. The weakest part between in the system is the starter. It twisted internally a slight amount. Good news, it won't prevent the bike starting. Bad news, it won't go away without replacing the starter. Its sort of a pain staking process, so unless you are mechanically inclined, I would recommend a shop changing it out. Basically exhaust has to be removed, motor needs to be lowered down to remove the starter. I know the times I have had to do it, we charged around 4 hours to change it out.

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for this!! I spoke with Vic Tech at local Polaris shop. He described the need to remove exhaust etc. He quoted me four hours of $hop time. Said he would check the internal part (?) and the starter motor behind the battery. Thanks for your input!! (y)

· Premium Member
3,485 Posts
I just fixed this exact problem. I had to remove the exhaust, voltage regulator, then the starter. Take the starter apart and clean the bearing and bushing as well as any other debris. Grease the bearing and bushing and then reassemble it. My starter sounds great now. Rylan's procedure works. There was no need to lower the motor.

Reactions: normthenomad

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just fixed this exact problem. I had to remove the exhaust, voltage regulator, then the starter. Take the starter apart and clean the bearing and bushing as well as any other debris. Grease the bearing and bushing and then reassemble it. My starter sounds great now. Rylan's procedure works. There was no need to lower the motor.
Thanks, Good Info! (y)

· Registered
143 Posts
Did the same procedure on my CR.
Pain in the butt, did not have to lower the motor.
5.5 hours start to finish with the help of a youngster (36 year old). I was 76 at the time.
Same job on a steel frame takes about an hour.

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good Info. Thanks!
Without a table lift, that's a lot of rolling around on the garage floor.
Kid is 50. I'm a little older :cool:.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts