Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my XCT's starter seems to make a very loud groaning when I attempt to start it when it is cold out. It doesn't seem to do it when it's warmer out. It almost sounds like a bearing or something, and it doesn't happen all the time. Just seems to happen when it's very cold out (like today). The bike will still start, but the starter is loud.

Has anyone else had a loud starter noise like this?
Maybe in a bit I can try to make a short video...

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
At least a half hour prior to starting my bike when its very cold, I place an electric space heater, the type with a fan, aimed at the engine. The main purpose is to warm and thin the oil, but, of course, it warms the engine too. This makes for easy starts...easier on the battery + easier on the starter. You might want to try that Broggy and see if the noise disappears.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That... is a fantastic idea. I'll have to give it a shot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There is another post on this and most say its the starter clutch but I just had a Victory only tech tell me its the starter armature rubbing against the inside of the armature housing when its cold outside.

Another Victory only tech in the same shop on another day told me it is a bearing that spins until it heats up and there is no fix.

Who knows who to believe. I'm going to ride mine until it breaks or they Polaris says they know what is causing the problem and have designed a new replacement part.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
just take it easy, i now need to replace my starter clutch, went out yesterday in my 55 degree garage, and Zing went the starter

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thats how mine sounds.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
there is a link below that video with findings

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
mine just spins and doesnt engage, going to order the parts when i have money to.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, Noe, that's exactly what it sounds like. You actually confirmed this for me on your FB posting on this subject a couple weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
dttmmil May be its cold and solenoid is just stuck. Have had that happen on tractors when its real cold. Just had to clean them. The VIC starter doesn't seem to like the cold. I'm probably wrong.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
This should be obvious to any rider, but apparently it isn't. Place a home electric heater (preferably one with a fan) near the engine at least a half hour prior to starting the bike. This warms up the oil, the battery and engine parts. Makes life a lot easier for those items in the cold of winter.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This should be obvious to any rider, but apparently it isn't. Place a home electric heater (preferably one with a fan) near the engine at least a half hour prior to starting the bike. This warms up the oil, the battery and engine parts. Makes life a lot easier for those items in the cold of winter.
I tried that. I let the heater run for a good 45 minutes. Didn't make any difference for me.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
dttmmil May be its cold and solenoid is just stuck. Have had that happen on tractors when its real cold. Just had to clean them. The VIC starter doesn't seem to like the cold. I'm probably wrong.

its 50 plus degrees in my garage

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I tried that. I let the heater run for a good 45 minutes. Didn't make any difference for me.
At my first Winter Rally it was 9 deg below freezing amd next morning BMW boxer riders were pushing their bike over the top of campfire embers prior to starting.
Aussies can be extreme...seems like a good idea as long as the fires not raging

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I don't know your feeling about oils but changing to a full synthetic will help make your bike turn over much easier. Sort of like heating your garage only much less expensive. Plus when you restart it away from the garage to come home you won't be putting near the load on the starter you would if you had Vic oil in it and you will be getting better oil flow to the bearings during operation. The pour point of synthetics is just lower than semi synthetics. Much lower.
Find a good full synthetic with a low pour point that is compatible with a vic clutch for the winter and when the weather warms up change back to what you normally run. There is so much oil info on this forum that you should have no problem coming up with a couple of choices at least. Then check the manufacturer's specs for the pour point and select the oil with the lowest one. Some synthetic oils have lower pour points than other though all have lower pour points than dino oils.

Dumping that oil when it warms up in the spring regardless of the mileage is a good idea because it will take on a lot of water from condensation when ridden in cold weather. The oil never gets truly hot on an air cooled bike in cold weather and the water never comes out of the oil. Quite a bit can accumulate. If the oil begins to look milky or cloudy, time to replace it.

cheers
Changing to a total synthetic will make your motor turn over much like it does when it is warmer. It will not create more room between the armature and the fields if rust is causing the problem and interfering with the operation of the starter because the housing is contracting from the cold. ( don't know if Vic uses an alloy starter housing or not) . It could be worth a shot to see what the problem really is.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Seems like a pointless thing to do, unless your starting in sub zero temperatures. The whole point of a multi weight oil is so you can start it in cold weather. Is it easier on the starter if it's warm? probably, but a starter was designed to turn over an engine weather its cold or hot.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Shouldn't have to place a heater near my bike before I want to ride it or not ride it cause it's under forty degrees!!! I bought it I'm riding as long as there is no snow on the ground I'm taking her for a ride!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts