Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2011 cross country haven't got to ride much because of time of year , but have ride some and live it. Until yesterday when I tried to start it. It had been in the high 20's that nite but was in the 40's when I attempted to start the bike it turned over strong but wouldn't start after second try sounds like starter is just spinning any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Make sure batterys got a full charge and connections are cleaned and tightened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've checked the connections, and put tender on battery. Plan on checking again tomorrow. But I've heard some people say that they had to replace starter clutch to primary due to cold weather starts. Hoping that's not what happened to me. Engine seemed to be turning over fine just wouldn't fire. Then starter sounds like it's just spinning......

·
Premium Member
12,977 Posts
Not sure why it would start when it did turn the engine over but yeah; it does sound like the starter clutch is having an issue. It could be due to the cold weather. Just a thought but maybe you could put a portable heater on the primary side for a half hour or so then try to start it. At least then you will know it has something to do with the cold weather.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I live in Oklahoma the weather constantly I'd changing. We had a ice storm last weekend but it's gonna be in the 60"s this week so should be more than warm enuff. I've tried rocking the bike back & fourth while its in gear thinking starter was hung. But didn't help its a heavy bike so couldn't move it to much. Any idea the cost of having starter clutch replaced??

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I think your description of the problem may have some people confused. I know it has at least me confused. You say two contradictory things. On the one hand you say, "Engine seemed to be turning over fine..." which implies that the starter is properly engaging with the engine. On the other hand you say, "sounds like starter is just spinning" which implies that the starter motor is turning but is NOT engaging with the engine so that the engine is NOT turning over. Can you clarify? The proper course of action for these two alternatives is totally different. The former would involve looking for why the engine will not start even though it is turning over. Causes will involve the classic three items: fuel, air, or spark. The latter would involve looking at starter motor, clutch, and power to the starter motor.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
I think your description of the problem may have some people confused. I know it has at least me confused. You say two contradictory things. On the one hand you say, "Engine seemed to be turning over fine..." which implies that the starter is properly engaging with the engine. On the other hand you say, "sounds like starter is just spinning" which implies that the starter motor is turning but is NOT engaging with the engine so that the engine is NOT turning over. Can you clarify? The proper course of action for these two alternatives is totally different. The former would involve looking for why the engine will not start even though it is turning over. Causes will involve the classic three items: fuel, air, or spark. The latter would involve looking at starter motor, clutch, and power to the starter motor.

G'day,

Vinish
yeah I'm confused on that too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I apologize for the confusion, I'll try to clarify. I went to start the bike the first two times I pressed the start button the engine turned over" and turned over strong" but failed to start. The third time I pressed the starter button the starter did not engage or turn the engine over. Since that time every time I try o start the bike the starter just sounds as if it's spinning and the engine is no longer turning over. Hope that explains what happened and my situation. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have cleaned battery connections and put the bike on a battery tender. The weather is in the 60's this week. But starter still doesn't engage. If it were on a auto it sounds like the starter does when it fails to engage flywheel & just spins. I've also tried rocking the bike back & fourth with it in gear, thinking possibly starter hung but no change. So again starter was engaging and turning engine over, now just spins and doesn't turn engine over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha, well your right I would need my grand daughter to to that for me! I'm surprised I was able to get this far.......

·
Registered
790 Posts
I too have intermittent symptoms of the starter acting like it's not getting enough juice when I first press the button. sometimes starts right up. I get the sound of a low battery, the starter barely groans as it tries to turn over the engine. Hit it 2 or 3 more times starts right up! Battery full charged and good connectors, replaced front breaker behind battery, still happens. Took starter switch a part and lubed. Doesn't matter if on a battery tender, or out riding for 100 miles, sometimes scares the hell out of me the bike's not going to start, but does. Yes, ground cable good and tight too. No, doesn't sound like the starter is just spinning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've only had bike a month. Started great every time till the other day. Don't think I have same problem as you. Mine is no longer turning engine over at all. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the starter sprag clutch broke, pull the primary cover off, its behind the flywheel.

·
12,968 Posts
no its in front of the primary. you don't need to pull the primary from what I have seen but you need a special tool to get it out. You need number 6 Vic wants $179 for it. You should pull starter and have automotive electrical shop rebuild it. Worth the money. Rylan from the vic shop says alway crack the throttle a 1/8 turn before pushing start button even if its warm out. So you don't take on the sprag gear

Attachments

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
BSC55, this horse may be gone from your barn, but here are some tips that I use for easier winter starting. About an hour prior to starting, I place a heater with a fan in it near the engine. This warms the engine, oil and the battery too. Cold batteries have a lot less power. When starting, ALWAYS hold the throttle open a bit, no matter the weather. My oil of choice is Rotella T-6, for many reasons, one being its cold viscosity is 5W and makes life easier on the battery and starter. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Thanks for the info. So no need to remove starter to replace clutch?

nope just primary cover, no special tools required, but you will need to get a puller for the flywheel, you can use an automotive drain plug from oriellys or wherever, $4-5 for it, screw it into the flywheel and push it off, dont drop it, the POS sprag clutch is right behind it, order one from hondaeasttoledo.net that and a new primary cover gasket.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i dont think so, when mine went it just went, i started it, it died, i tried again and it just spun, i dont believe the temp thing either, mine started fine when it was in the 20s, mine went out in my 50 degree garage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts