Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 cross roads with only 3500 miles. I always keep the trickle charger on it because I haven't ridden much lately. it always started fine. About a month ago I went for a 30 mile ride and turned bike off to eat lunch. I then went to start bike and Click noise was apparent from celanoid area. I pushed starter button a few more times and it turned over and started.

So, Yesterday I started bike and rode to store. I turned it off to go in store. Came out and CLICK, CLick. Would only make click noise from celanoid area. would not start. got tow back to house.

So I assumed the battery was shot; bad assumption. Today I got new battery ($140) and put trickle charger on it until green charger light shined. Everything looked good.

The bike started fine. rode a few miles and turned off to go in store. Tried to start bike and CLICK Click from celanoid; no startie. PISSED.

In the past I have taken the bike to a car wash and used the pressure nosle for washing. did I screw something up during washing process from the past?

could the celanoid be the problem? I'm clueless????
should I check the connections on the celanoid to make sure they are clean?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
frequently the battery terminals don't stay tight on the Cross bikes. make sure they're good and tight and clean and put some star washers on 'em.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My money is on a loose connection somewhere. Don't think I have ever heard of a starter going out that early.
Yup. Sound advice. I would be looking for loose or disturbed connections at the starter, the starter relay as well as at the battery. Sounds like a classic case of current plenty, current delivery system not so much.

Regardless of what damage a car wash hose may do to finishes it shouldn't be able to dislodge primary wiring. Since you asked Pop would prefer that you not wash your bike with a car wash pressure hose but it's not my bike and for sure you are not alone putting the pressure wand to a motorcycle. If the water stream loosened up something that prevents your bike from starting, that event was going to happen anyway, just probably a little further on down the road.

Starter problems are rare as houndsteeth around here. Loose terminal connections though... there ought to be a forum of its own just dedicated to peeps having that issue and the peeps who preach evangelical about the misery that would have been prevented but for the use of star washers. I bet your problem will be better resolved by the appropriate investment of time and muscle instead of money.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Repeat after me ten times....I will never ever pressure wash a motorcycle again. It drives crap into places that it won't come out of, drown electricals and other bad things happen too.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I will never ever pressure wash a motorcycle again.

Repeat after me ten times....I will never ever pressure wash a motorcycle again. It drives crap into places that it won't come out of, drown electricals and other bad things happen too.
I will never ever pressure wash a motorcycle again.
bart-simpson-never-pressure-wash-again.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
dont even use a garden hose on mine...
waterless detail spray is the go.
I dont mind riding in the rain but draw the line at putting the hose on it.
and pressure washers...well it's all been said

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
If your battery terminal screws are tight (and the shop manual's torque spec is way too low, IMHO) and you've added star washers (and I also put blue thread-locker on the bottom of those bolts, and di-electric grease on the top), it might also be a problem with the (hard to get at) main breaker bus.

There are several threads on this, and I carry a NAPA replacement in a saddlebag (along with a Sav-Ur-Ride clutch cable). Take a look at this thread page, for instance: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=53633&page=2

I second or third or fourth the notion of never using a pressure washer. I mean, you can get water in electrical parts, such as that fuse. And people have problems with the factory cruise just from riding in the rain, never mind pressure. And besides electrical stuff, a minor aiming mistake can possibly get by a wheel-bearing seal, and lead to bearing failure. And on and on.

I ride in the rain on multi-day trips, of course, but other than that I never even use a hose -- nozzle or no nozzle -- on the bike. I keep it very clean -- it's a good way to bond with the bike, and you're more likely to notice loose fasteners, damaged parts, etc. -- but I do it all with waterless spray-and-clean products and lots of micro-fiber towels (which I buy in bulk from Sam's Club every few months).

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have heard of people replacing the breaker/fuse on cross bikes and steel frames. Where is it located on a Vision?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
My money is on a loose connection somewhere. Don't think I have ever heard of a starter going out that early.
Not sure why there are 2 threads from OP with same problem but as I stated in other thread. Mine and 2 other 2011 same thing within 12 months on the road and around 7-8k. I don't think it was a huge issue but warranty covered all three. Seems if no pushback then there was a problem. All three bikes were mfgr late 2010 early 11.

For what it's worth

Tim

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had a similar problem with my kingpin last month. Battery was new, terminals tight. Ended up being a stuck brush in the starter. I had the commutator machined (guy charged me $1), and threw in some new brushes. The starter now turns over twice as fast as it used to and the bike starts much better. It had been going bad for several years and I didn't even suspect the starter until a few weeks ago.

·
13,251 Posts
Keep in mind a starter can be rebuilt by a car electrical shop

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure why there are 2 threads from OP with same problem but as I stated in other thread. Mine and 2 other 2011 same thing within 12 months on the road and around 7-8k. I don't think it was a huge issue but warranty covered all three. Seems if no pushback then there was a problem. All three bikes were mfgr late 2010 early 11.

For what it's worth

Tim
does anyone have a dissembly diagram of accessing the starter? I started to dissemble and ran into oil cooler and other stuff. I want to check the cable ends on the starter and celinoid.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
click click usually does mean starter

·
Registered
12,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Or a bad or low battery. Why not check into the cheap and easy things first?
Exactly. Click click is the sound of a relay closing the circuit from the battery to the starter. Either could be bad, but the battery is the more probably culprit.

Yes the relay requires power, but not nearly as much as the starter so it can clickity click without being fully charged for a while.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Gentleman, low voltage or battery problem usually gives you a series of fast clicks. A starter usually gives you a click click.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If that battery was brand new and you put it in right away without charging it, then that's your first problem you should deal with. Put a charger on it, preferably one that is design for small batteries that has a low amp output.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
new battery charge

If that battery was brand new and you put it in right away without charging it, then that's your first problem you should deal with. Put a charger on it, preferably one that is design for small batteries that has a low amp output.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I tried it both ways. first tried starting bike wo charging it. didn't work.

I then charged it and same click click no difference.

click click is coming from relay. do you think its relay?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts