Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I take my '02 V92C last week for a ride. I stop for a burger and a beer, jump back on, fire her up, and I hear something loud and whiny. I turn the run button off and the engine shuts off, but the starter doesn't. I hit the start button a few times in case it's stuck. Nothing. I turn the key off and remove it and it's still going. Luckily the guy parked next to me had a phillips so I disconnect the negative battery terminal ASAP. After a few minutes of getting over my surprise and then thinking about it for a few, I disconnect the power lead to the starter. Figured that worst case scenario had me starting it up then limping it home with the starter cable disconnected. Played with the start button while it was like this and could hear a light click, so I figured that was ok. So I get my hands on some electrical tape and get ready to start her up and tape the power lead off, and lo and behold it doesn't crank when I touch the cable to the starter. Somehow the problem had rectified itself. I've only started it a few times since, but it seems fine. Either way, I want to identify the possible culprit so I know what to look for if it happens again. I know very little about fixing bikes, but reason stands that it isn't that different than a car when it comes to the basics. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or could give me an idea of the parts on a 92 that I should check out. I'm guessing there's a relay but I don't know where to begin looking. Is it possible that the starter switch is sticky? A solenoid issue, and if so is it separate from the starter or are they an integral part of it? Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
... Is it possible that the starter switch is sticky?
Yes, it's possible, especially if water gets to it. Water will cause the problem you're describing, and it will be intermittent as it gets wet and then dries up. Was there a recent downpour, or was the bike just washed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't ridden it in the rain, and have kept it covered and under a bridge when I'm not riding it. It's possible some got in, but if so I don't know how.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Haven't ridden it in the rain, and have kept it covered and under a bridge when I'm not riding it. It's possible some got in, but if so I don't know how.
Doesn't have to be water, as relays can fail on their own. It's just that water's a usual suspect that kills relays. If it were water, I would have said to keep the current relay and just make sure it does not get wet in the future, but if an obvious bath did not cause it, I would suggest looking for a replacement relay so you don't get stranded again.

·
13,002 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't have to be water, as relays can fail on their own. It's just that water's a usual suspect that kills relays. If it were water, I would have said to keep the current relay and just make sure it does not get wet in the future, but if an obvious bath did not cause it, I would suggest looking for a replacement relay so you don't get stranded again.
Whereabouts is it located? Not close to my bike at the moment but I'd like a general idea of where to start looking so I can get familiar with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts