Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Kingpin 8 ball. My starter switch sometimes won't turn the starter over. When the key is on, I have power. It works evertime in the morning without fail or when it's sat for a few hours. Bit if I stop for a stretch or top off. Sometimes it won't engage the starter. It eventually does. Was wondering where you'd start looking? Possibly contact cleaner on the switch Itself maybe?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fully charged known good battery. Battery connections wrench tight not screwdriver tight, clean connections at the battery.
Does it not turn over?
Does the starter spin but not crank the engine?
Does it struggle to turn the engine?
Does it try to start then just click?
Have you checked the 40 amp breaker?
Have you downloaded a service manual on MEDIAFIRE yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the late reply. When it does this absolutely nothing happens. It's absolutely dead. I can walk away from it for 5 to 10 minutes then the starter engages and it starts. It did it last night. I rode it to my friends house. Shut the bike off. Was in his house for 15 minutes. Came out, turned the key on, hit the button and nothing. Went back in, came back out, did nothing different and it started. So again, when this happens, it's as if there is no contact in the switch.

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
Check out the main circuit breaker down near the battery. Well, at least that is where it is located for later model year bikes.

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tracked down my connections. Cleaned what I could and tightened them down. I used the socket on both battery connections. I didn't have any issues. I rode out to Deals Gap from Kernersville, NC. 330 miles total so far. I rode the Tail 4 times. Stopped in the Cafe to have a burger. 30 minutes later I go out and nothing. The lights on my panel all come on and I hit the button and nothing. I pulled out my cables, attached them, had a guy jump me and she fired up.
I'm back at my hotel now uploading my videos. Gonna head out and check the connections again. Maybe get my battery tested. The starter sounds fine. I'm hoping it's not that.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I tracked down my connections. Cleaned what I could and tightened them down. I used the socket on both battery connections. I didn't have any issues. I rode out to Deals Gap from Kernersville, NC. 330 miles total so far. I rode the Tail 4 times. Stopped in the Cafe to have a burger. 30 minutes later I go out and nothing. The lights on my panel all come on and I hit the button and nothing. I pulled out my cables, attached them, had a guy jump me and she fired up.
I'm back at my hotel now uploading my videos. Gonna head out and check the connections again. Maybe get my battery tested. The starter sounds fine. I'm hoping it's not that.
Does that year have a starter relay in it? Might throw a new one in if it does.
They are generally not to expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts