Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99v92c sometimes just clicks when i try to start when it is cold,after it warms up, usually have no problem restarting.is this the starter relay, or something else i should be looking for?
thanks for any info,
Tony

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
How old's your battery?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would take a look at your ground cable, check battery connections, check the voltage at the battery when it's running and stopped, and if it all of that looks good, I would replace the starter relay. I would bet it's a ground issue though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
starter

I would take a look at your ground cable, check battery connections, check the voltage at the battery when it's running and stopped, and if it all of that looks good, I would replace the starter relay. I would bet it's a ground issue though.
ok, but y is it that after it has warmed up, i have very feew issues? at least when starting? and do u know if there is somewhere i can find a relay, without buying the entire kit? dealership wants 245.00.seems a Tad high.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lesson learned

Ok,so it is not the starter relay,replaced it with a new one,same thing,so,now what??checked ground,good,checked battery,good,what els is there,other than a bad starter???

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Ok,so it is not the starter relay,replaced it with a new one,same thing,so,now what??checked ground,good,checked battery,good,what els is there,other than a bad starter???
How tight are the battery connections?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
tight,tight,tight
Since you did not mention any rough idling, or other symptoms of dirty throttle bodies / injectors, I would venture to assume your issue is electrical. It's possible that something other than the battery connections is not making good enough contact, which is most obvious when the bike is cold. But before you dig into that, I would make sure the battery passes a few simple tests.

If you have a voltmeter, check the battery Voltage with everything disconnected (that doesn't mean with the key outside of ignition, but rather everything physically removed from the battery terminals). Write down your reading, and connect the battery back up, and start the motor - run it idle, and measure the battery voltage again, while it's idling. Then have someone hold the throttle for you to where the engine runs around 2000 RPM, and take another Voltage reading. Post your findings, and we'll be able to eliminate a few suspects from the list, or pinpoint the blame on the battery or voltage regulator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
idle??

Since you did not mention any rough idling, or other symptoms of dirty throttle bodies / injectors, I would venture to assume your issue is electrical. It's possible that something other than the battery connections is not making good enough contact, which is most obvious when the bike is cold. But before you dig into that, I would make sure the battery passes a few simple tests.

If you have a voltmeter, check the battery Voltage with everything disconnected (that doesn't mean with the key outside of ignition, but rather everything physically removed from the battery terminals). Write down your reading, and connect the battery back up, and start the motor - run it idle, and measure the battery voltage again, while it's idling. Then have someone hold the throttle for you to where the engine runs around 2000 RPM, and take another Voltage reading. Post your findings, and we'll be able to eliminate a few suspects from the list, or pinpoint the blame on the battery or voltage regulator.
`cant get it started to let it idle,brand new battery,2 of them as a matter of fact.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
`cant get it started to let it idle,brand new battery,2 of them as a matter of fact.
I thought you said it sometimes does not start when it's cold. Now you're making it sound like it never does start. Two new batteries can be ruined in no time by a bad voltage regulator.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts