Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys had problems with your starter???
I have had 2 problems with mine.
Last year after owning it for 3 months the starter went out. Now, for the 2nd timea year from the date had another one go out.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Are you keeping your battery and relay terminals tight? Every time I can, I check mine and can usually give 'em a bit of a twist.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Mine is in the shop now, suspected bad starter. Intermittent problem with the starter not having enough umph to turn the engine over, kinda stalls out as compression built. Was gonna live with it until fall, but wife and I went on a ride memorial day weekend. It was hotter than you know what. Anyway after stopping to rehydrate and stretch our legs, it took 5 trys to get the engine to turn over and start. don't want to get stranded on a longer trip so I bit the bullet and took my bike in:(

I am going nuts without my bike:crzy:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked all the basic stuff. Ended up takingit to the shop. It was the starter. Vic had a run of bad starters and they said I just happened to get another one. I hope I get it back before this coming friday for my trip to Pismo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am beginning to think that I have a problem with mine. I mentioned it to the dealer when I first test rode it, but every time he tried it worked fine. The last few times I've ridden it has acted up. Is there a number or something on the starter to tell if it's in the batch that was bad?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
The starter

Got the call this afternoon from dealer my bike is done. The bike acted up for them when I dropped it off so he ordered the starter the next day. I will get her tomorrow, I am curious if I notice if she seems to turn over any faster. So far I am happy with the warranty and service from this (new to me) dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am beginning to think that I have a problem with mine. I mentioned it to the dealer when I first test rode it, but every time he tried it worked fine. The last few times I've ridden it has acted up. Is there a number or something on the starter to tell if it's in the batch that was bad?
Not that I'm aware of. The mech. came out and looked at it and said right away that it was the starter and ordered it. He also mentioned that they had a problem with a bad batch last year and he thought they had them all removed.

What mine did is about a month ago when I went to start it up it sounded like the battery wasn't giving it enough juice. After that happened it ran fine until last week when I got on it to start it up and had the music, lights and nothing but a click after I hit the start button.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just tried to start mine. The engine tried to start and it kicked back. I went to try to start it again and I think I managed to knock the drive out or something.

Now it sounds like the drive isn't engaging at all.

The battery was fully charged, and i've ridden it in much colder weather. It's about 20 today.
Needless to say i'm not real happy.

After doing some checking and seeing something similar on one of the "other" Victory boards, I think one of the starter clutches took a crap.

glad I have a year warranty left.

·
13,002 Posts
one thing go to hardware store any buy two 1/4" star washers or lock washers. One for each battery terminal. That way you will eliminate one problem of your cables coming loose.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Long ago, I learned a good thing to do before starting a cold bike in cold weather...place an electric space heater close to the bike, next to the clutch, as that's where most of the oil is. Bike starters and batteries aren't very big, yet have to turn over an engine larger than some cars. Add to that, thick cold oil and that could lead to problems. I like to make life for my starter and battery as easy as possible.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Starter failure 2012 Hardball

The starter clutch went on my 2012 HB with just 3200 miles on it. It was about 30 degrees in my garage when I tried to start it. The starter just spun and did not turn the motor over. Battery was fully charged and connections tight
It was covered under warranty but I have read others have had cold weather starter failures.
Living in MN we have cool mornings in the spring and fall and I need to be able to start it when it is 30 degrees out.
Victory said these are the same starters they have used for years. I hope this was just a fluke thing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My bike is in the shop getting this fixed as we speak. I'm hoping to get it back soon. It's supposed to break 40 again. Time to ride,. thumb up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts