Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 XR/ 14000 miles/ runs great: However,

When my bike sits for a week, even on a battery tender, it will not start while it is in neutral. If I pull in the clutch, it starts right up. After starting it and riding it, it will start right up while it is in neutral.

Things I know:

The bike is definitely in neutral.
New battery and cables are snug.
The neutral light, lights.
The gear position lights, light.

Please share you thoughts. Thanks.

John

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
When you say it doesn't start, does it turn over but doesn't fire, or does it not even turn over?

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Sounds like the switch or sensor that tells the ECM the bike is in neutral isn't working for some reason. I don't know where that is but the service manual might.

On my KP it's the opposite. The switch on the clutch lever is broken so it will only start in neutral. It doesn't know if the clutch lever has been pulled.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I removed the switch and took it to the dealer. Because my switch had continuity from the switch contact points to the connector, I just cleaned off the switch contact points and plunger, but replaced the old spring with a new one (not cheap for that little spring.) So far my bike starts right up. I am waiting about a week to try again, to help me feel more confident that the spring may have been my problem.

On another note: I thought (?) when I unscrewed the switch fasteners, that they were already a little loose - but I wasn't so on top of that when I was taking the switch out. So, I still think my issue was the spring, and maybe the fasteners were a little loose and contributing to my issue.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Update: I removed the switch and took it to the dealer. Because my switch had continuity from the switch contact points to the connector, I just cleaned off the switch contact points and plunger, but replaced the old spring with a new one (not cheap for that little spring.) So far my bike starts right up. I am waiting about a week to try again, to help me feel more confident that the spring may have been my problem.

On another note: I thought (?) when I unscrewed the switch fasteners, that they were already a little loose - but I wasn't so on top of that when I was taking the switch out. So, I still think my issue was the spring, and maybe the fasteners were a little loose and contributing to my issue.
First; thanks for coming back with a follow up and solution.

Which switch was it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts