Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you do anything special when starting your bike after it hasn't been started for a few weeks? I always crack the throttle when starting, but after it has set the bike just sounds gnarly for about 10-15 seconds.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I place a room heater with a fan in it close to the engine at least an hour prior to starting. That warms the oil, battery, transmission, starter as well as the engine and makes the start a lot easier on all those components. 5W-40 Rotella T-6 helps tremendously getting rapid oil circulation and filling the lifters. An automatic trickle charger has kept the battery topped up and stabilizer has maintained the fuel's volatility.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I just hit the starter button, let it idle for 5 mins or so, and then hit the road.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I like the heater with fan idea. Mine is stone cold after sitting for five months. For years before the Vic, I put a 250 watt flood light (contained in metal cage) on the floor near the filter and bottom of the case for a few hours. In theory, to raise the temp of the oil a few degrees. Seat of the pants science. Don't know if it actually accomplishes anything, but makes my anal self feel better by attempting to make a difference. Still rain and snow on this side of the hill. April 1st is officially opening day of the season for me. Put T6 in last October. Curious to hear it fire up with the new juice in the jugs. Couple more weeks . . . .

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
TN weather is all over the place but my garage is partially underground and even at temps in the teens it stays in the mid -40's. My old 73 kawi 2 stroke is a different beast though, she needs lots of warm up time!

·
13,262 Posts
Like other mine sits for 5 months. So I never rush the starting process. Bump it a couple times to get fresh oil moving

1 - 7 of 7 Posts