Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you all. I am trying to find a place to install my Stebel Air Horn on my 2013 CCT. About the only place I can think of is on the highway bars. Any suggestions or pictures of where you have installed yours?

·
Registered
154 Posts
install location

Don't know which Stebel you have...Wolo Bad Boy fit perfect to the right of the stereo as facing from the front inside the fairing. There is a threaded hole in the aluminum there that I used for the mount. I just extended the stock wiring but soon found it blew the stock horn/turn fuse. Added a relay and all works great. Sorry no pics, but if you search, there s a great photo write-up on here from another member.

Got a question for you all. I am trying to find a place to install my Stebel Air Horn on my 2013 CCT. About the only place I can think of is on the highway bars. Any suggestions or pictures of where you have installed yours?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Second that on the right side of the stereo as looking at it from the front, under the outer fairing. I also added the relay and all works great. Much better than stock. thouhgt I had a picture of mine installed but I don't.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Here is a pic of a horn to the right of the stereo (looking at bike), the other pic is on the VTwin tray.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have a FIAAM (sp?) [much the same as Stebel] and here's where I put mine...

IMG_2847 (Large).jpg

Wire it via a relay direct to the battery. Use the stock horn wiring to activate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
thats my place...there is a hole in frame...i used small flat bracket with 2 holes

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Here's my Stebel Nautilus, on the right side of the bike (the left side, if you're looking at an unclothed fairing), underneath the fairing.

I have nine pics-and-captions on the horn install in my gallery, starting at this pic: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/#9

Interestingly, the April issue of Motorcycle Consumer News arrived yesterday, with a review of horns. The Fiamm non-air horns are about the same loudness as the Stebel, which is about the same loudness as the equivalent Wolo. In any case, I've had the Nautilus on my XCT for two years now, no issues, and I had the same model on my Burgman 650 for five years, no issues, and I like the output tones. Make sure you have the trumpets pointing in the general direction of down, to ensure any condensation, etc., buildup drains out.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Stebel, black, mounted on the left side under the crash bar at the top. You can hardly see it. But this is on a XC with the forged bars. I used the existing horn wires but had to go to a slightly bigger fuse.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I see there are a variety of horns that people are using for upgrades on the CC. Can folks who have upgraded list the brand and model number that you used? Or are there specs I should look for to make sure it would be compatible? I've never replaced one before. Maybe it is just as simple as power & ground and that's all?

What are the pros & cons with these various different horn models? I don't necessarily want mine to sound like a train, but I would like something more like an American car than the 'meep meep' of the pathetic stock horn.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
282 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Wolo Bad Boy!! Comes with a relay, and good wiring instructions. Got mine at O'rilley auto, for around 40 bucks. I debated on location and went under the fairing.
Very loud!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I see there are a variety of horns that people are using for upgrades on the CC. Can folks who have upgraded list the brand and model number that you used? Or are there specs I should look for to make sure it would be compatible? I've never replaced one before. Maybe it is just as simple as power & ground and that's all?

What are the pros & cons with these various different horn models? I don't necessarily want mine to sound like a train, but I would like something more like an American car than the 'meep meep' of the pathetic stock horn.

Thanks,
Rob
Motorcycle Consumer News (available by subscription only) did an extensive review of horns a couple of months ago, looking at sound levels, tone frequency and quality, size taken up in mounting, current draw, and price (I think I have them all).

They liked the Fiamm high and low tone models a lot -- and I'm pretty sure I recall this correctly, but I'm not positive -- that they could probably use existing wiring. Here are a couple of links:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72012-Note-Universal-Bracket/dp/B000DN7T3A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399034941&sr=8-3&keywords=fiamm[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72102-Term-Universal-Bracket/dp/B000FKKOK6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399034941&sr=8-2&keywords=fiamm[/ame]

They also noted that Fiamm's Freeway Blaster was even louder, but for some reason they didn't test it. See http://www.aerostich.com/fiamm-freeway-blaster-horn.html .

They preferred these, based on sound level, cost, and size, to the air horns.

In the air horn dept., they slightly preferred the Wolo Bad Boy -- see the whole page http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm -- to the Stebel Nautilus (e.g., http://www.twistedthrottle.com/stebel-nautilus-compact-dual-tone-motorcycle-air-horn-12-volt-139-db-black-or-chrome ).

Me, I prefer the sound quality and volume of the Stebel Nautilus, having used this model on a couple of different bikes now. As I posted earlier and as you can see in four or five pics in my gallery, I put this under the fairing, with negligible loss of sound vs. having it completely in the open.

If you use an air horn, you must use beefy wiring (e.g., 16 gauge) for max. volume, as well as being sized appropriately for the current, and you must use a relay. The stock wiring, horn button, and fuse will not handle these -- at least not reliably -- with almost 20-amp draw. If you're not familiar with relays and their associated wiring, you can get familiar with them (and ask for help here), or use a lower-current draw type of horn.

If you use something like a Stebel or a Wolo, make sure that you have the trumpets pointing down -- the whole thing, or at least the very ends -- because they need to drain moisture (rain or condensation) to work well. This is also desirable if you use air horns that have a separate compressor, such as the Rivcos and similar models; they generally have trumpets mounted horizontally, so they'll need to be sprayed with WD40 or something like that periodically. I had a setup like that on my Valkyrie for a while (and later changed over to a four-electric-horn setup, made for mounting underneath a Valk).

Horns, of course, should not be your only line of defense. You may need to simultaneously swerve or brake. That said, and to address one of your concerns, none of these is remotely too loud, especially given drivers with loud music, texting, putting on makeup, etc.: you're just getting their attention, at best. If you want to look at possibly too loud, check out this guy's train horn setup: http://www.horseapple.com/Valkyrie/Tech_Tips/Train-Horn/train-horn.html . This is for real, as I'm familiar with him from my Valkyrie days.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for all the details, Bill. That FIAMM hi/lo has good sound. I'm not looking for big-rig or train volume/sound, so this is perfect. Sounds like a normal car.

Anyone use the FIAMM 72012 or 72112 on a CC? Can it be a direct replacement of the OEM horn? Or does it require a relay and extra wiring?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
182 Posts
For those of you who have mounted the horn inside the fairing, are all the wires clearly marked so they can be switched from the existing horns to the new one. Are the orignial horns also under the fairing, which would make tracing the wires easy.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If you use an air horn, you must use beefy wiring (e.g., 16 gauge) for max. volume, as well as being sized appropriately for the current, and you must use a relay. The stock wiring, horn button, and fuse will not handle these -- at least not reliably -- with almost 20-amp draw. If you're not familiar with relays and their associated wiring, you can get familiar with them (and ask for help here), or use a lower-current draw type of horn.

Here's a wiring diagram I did. If you only have the horn, disregard the Relay #1 and Fuse Block part of it.

AuxWiring.jpg

This allows your stock horn wiring to trigger the relay for the air horn.

You probably could reduce that 20 amp fuse between the stock horn and the relay to maybe 5 amp as there's not a lot of draw on that line.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
For those of you who have mounted the horn inside the fairing, are all the wires clearly marked so they can be switched from the existing horns to the new one. Are the orignial horns also under the fairing, which would make tracing the wires easy.
Pretty much "nope" to all your questions.

The stock horn is down by the battery, just a little above that. Not in the fairing.

If you're adding an air horn, you need beefy wiring, e.g., 16-gauge, to handle the current and for maximum volume. This pair will connect to the added air horn in the fairing. The pair will proceed out from under the fairing, to the neck of the bike, and down. Make sure to leave slack in that run for handlebar movement, and make sure it won't get pinched when the handlebars are at full lock.

The ground of that pair can proceed down to the battery (neg, black, terminal). The other one of that pair needs to enter a relay. Also entering a relay will be the stock wires that power the wimpy horn; these will be used as the relay's trigger. And of course the relay will also need juice for that other new horn wire, i.e., a wire needs to be run from the red, pos, battery terminal to the relay.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I installed the wolo big boy horn under the rear fender and I don't like it. Had someone come into my lane and I blew the horn and it doesn't have a good tone. I had ear plugs on and I barely heard it. Gonna remove it and return it. Going to get the Stebel instead. Where can I buy the Stebel locally? Which Stebel do I need to purchase?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I installed the wolo big boy horn under the rear fender and I don't like it. Had someone come into my lane and I blew the horn and it doesn't have a good tone. I had ear plugs on and I barely heard it. Gonna remove it and return it. Going to get the Stebel instead. Where can I buy the Stebel locally? Which Stebel do I need to purchase?
The one I bought and installed -- on both my XCT, and another one on my Burgman 650 -- is the Stebel Nautilus (see my gallery, link below, for several shots of the install). I bought the one for my XCT two+ years back from Twisted Throttle -- http://www.twistedthrottle.com/stebel-nautilus-compact-dual-tone-motorcycle-air-horn-12-volt-139-db-black-or-chrome -- and the one before that from Griots Garage (who no longer sell those). I have no idea where you can get one locally; I've never seen a Stebel sold at a regular physical store.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always thought Stebel and Wolo were made by Nautilus

1st pic is stebel
2nd pic is Wolo

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I always thought Stebel and Wolo were made by Nautilus

1st pic is stebel
2nd pic is Wolo
They are very similar.

The Stebel series is made by Stebel, which is an Italian company, although I don't know whether the horns are made there, or here in the US, or China, or...

The US site for Stebel is http://www.stebel-usa.com/ . The Italian site (in English) is http://www.stebel.it/stebel2012/default.asp , the horn page there is http://www.stebel.it/stebel2012/products.asp?menu=products&submenu=ELECTROPNEUMATICS , and the horn in question is the "NAUTILUS COMPACT SERIES."

Wolo's web site is http://www.wolo-mfg.com/ . Their horn page is http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm . And I also have no idea where their products are made, and they don't seem to say; the address for the company (or at least the US address) is in NY.

In that April 2014 test of many horns, Motorcycle Consumer News rated the Stebel Nautilus Dual Tone at 129.3 dB and the Wolo Bad Boy Dual Tone at 129.0 dB. There were also slight differences in the dimensions and in the close-up pics.

So, yep, similar, but not identical.

TxClassic:

You might try just moving your Wolo inside the fairing, and see how it sounds. The fairing is largely open at the bottom and rider's side, so that in my testing any muffling is negligible.

Another factor for sound is the use of heavy wiring. Both of these horns draw 16 - 18 amps, which means that you should use, oh, 16-gauge wires or better. I do this on principle when working with big current like that -- in order not to melt anything -- but I've also read that lesser wires put a real damper on the volume levels of horns.

Last, make sure the trumpets are pointed down, in order to drain out and not accumulate -- and keep in -- crud, water, and condensation. I had separate trumpets on a prior bike, and that was a real issue; I had to spray in WD40 every so often. With the Stebel protected by the fairing (and pointing down) on my XCT, and another Stebel similarly protected inside bodywork on my Burgman, this was not an issue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts