Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my XR up on the lift and checked the steering head bearing and found them to be a tad loose. Anyone know the torque spec for them and what is the size of the socket required for the job? Looks to be 30mm. :confused:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Looking at the service manual they call the top nut the "crown nut" and should be torqued to 72 lbs. I think you may have to have a special socket to do the job though.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THNX TNXR! I always wanted to do that. I may need a thin wall socket as there isn't much room for a thick one it appears.
Back in '05 I attended a Motorcycle Touring Association rally in Lake Lure. What a lovely location. Close to Chimney Rock is the little town of Bat Cave. That would be neat to have as a return address. We had a group dinner at Hawg Wild BBQ in Hendersonville and they had the bestest hush puppies we ever ate. We had good times there in TN. Rode out there and back from Portland.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Checking the torque of the steering head bearing is one of the few things I couldn't do when I did my own 500 mile service. My bike is still in the shop waiting for my rear shock to come in but when I pick it up I might see if they will let me borrow the special socket to check mine with.

·
13,177 Posts
If the torque is 72 ft pounds you have to ask your self is that with the bike off the ground or on the ground.
How do you do any thing to your bike with out a manual :confused:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I use my manual to get the front tire high enough that I can get the jack under the bike. Does that count?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe what tightens the steering bearing is the adjuster nut under the top triple clamp which is held on by the crown nut. The crown nut is 72 ft pounds. The adjuster but is 29 ft/lbs and then you loosen it
1/4 turn. You need a very specialized wrench to torque it. My old school training says raise the bike on a lift and tighten the adjuster but to the point where there is a little resistance as the steering falls side to side. If ihe steering falls and bounces against the stop I would think its too loose. It doesn't, need much torque on it to achieve this, probably in the range of 5-7 ft pounds. If you get aclunk in steering when coming to a stop or a significant wobble in your steering around corners then tightening the adjuster
Nut may help, probably no more than 1/8th of a turn at a time. Do this at your own risk but this is how I do mine

Tom

·
Registered
679 Posts
I believe what tightens the steering bearing is the adjuster nut under the top triple clamp which is held on by the crown nut. The crown nut is 72 ft pounds. The adjuster but is 29 ft/lbs and then you loosen it
1/4 turn. You need a very specialized wrench to torque it. My old school training says raise the bike on a lift and tighten the adjuster but to the point where there is a little resistance as the steering falls side to side. If ihe steering falls and bounces against the stop I would think its too loose. It doesn't, need much torque on it to achieve this, probably in the range of 5-7 ft pounds. If you get aclunk in steering when coming to a stop or a significant wobble in your steering around corners then tightening the adjuster
Nut may help, probably no more than 1/8th of a turn at a time. Do this at your own risk but this is how I do mine

Tom
Way too much common sense there, don't you know you need at least three engineers and a couple of manuals to accomplish what you just did?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well folks, I cheated those engineers and manual writers that have you tearing the front end apart to tighten the adjuster nut that requires a special wrench, so they say. How, you ask? Circle 'round kiddies and Gramps will tell you that tale.
I got me a 30mm socket and loosened the crown nut, the one at the very top, you see. Then I gets me a long straight screwdriver and a hammer. I places the tip of the screwdriver in one of the notches on the adjusting nut (which is in plain sight under the triple clamp, don't ya know) and tap, rotating it tighter. I checks the forks for slack and when there's none, I stop the tapping and tighten the crown nut to 72 ft. lbs. with my handy dandy torque wrench. Then I goes for a ride. No more clunking when I hits a bump. 'Course I don't know if'n I have the adjusting nut set at the correct torque, but everything seems to be in good working order.
Thanks for all yer suggestions and referrals. Once I peered under the top triple clamp and saw that the adjusting nut is exposed, it was an easy fix from there.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Is there a mechanism that locks the adjuster nut in place, or is it held tight by the 72ft/lbs on the crown nut???

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just looked at a parts diagram.... no lock. Good solution and avoids major disassembly.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just looked at a parts diagram.... no lock. Good solution and avoids major disassembly.

That's right...the crown nut holds the adjusting nut in place.
I'm either lazy or efficient...haven't figgered it out yet.:confused:

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That link didn't work at his end. What is it you are referring to?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts