Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of you are mechanical wizards. I'm an absolute novice on pulling wrenches on a cycle. Since two local shops were ridicous on getting my oil changed (either M-F or out two weeks), I went and bought a Victory oil change kit at the local dealer. Found the drain plug and it was tighter than hell. Chose to watch YouTube video on Vision oil change and confirmed location of drain plug was correct and counter clockwise was the loosening direction. A 6mm Allen wrench with a screwdriver handle on the end (the kind that accepts bits in the end) gave me the leverage I needed. Loud sound when the oil plug broke loose. Next, my filter wrenches were all too big, so I tripped to downtown and picked up a new filter wrench that fit the Victory filter. Got the old one off, the new one on, the oil plug and new copper washer in place, and I filled her back up with oil. Had to play with a funnel to get the oil in. Put the oil stick back in and I'm ready to ride!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Good for you!! Now that you've done it it's a pretty easy job.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Congratulations...and you didn't strip the threads. You da man! Here's a tip when working with upside down fasteners; Use a ratchet handle and sockets and test the rotation of the ratchet before applying it. Too many get confused when confronted with upside down bolts and nuts and want to turn them the wrong direction.
You might want to buy a set of allen drivers that go on to ratchet handles since our Vics are almost nothing but allen screws and bolts. I use mine every time I'm doing something on my bike. Cheap at Harbor Freight.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
A very good investment is a toque wrench. You don't want to overtighen your drain plug. Bad things happen when you overtighen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts